Dr CHAN Yap-Hang, Will
Clinical Assistant Professor
- MBBS, MRes(Med), MRCP(UK), FHKCP, FHKAM(Medicine)
Dr. Chan is Clinical Assistant Professor at the Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine at University of Hong Kong, and Honorary Specialist Cardiologist at Queen Mary Hospital.
Graduated from Queen’s College as Senior Morrison Scholar, Dr. Chan obtained his medical degree together with the Master of Research in Medicine at the University of Hong Kong in 2008. After internship, he was immediately appointed Clinical Assistant Professor in Public Health Medicine by HKU, at the age of 26. After a period fully immersed in research, he further pursued and completed specialist clinical training in Cardiology and Advanced Internal Medicine at Queen Mary Hospital.
Dr. Chan’s main research interests are in the areas of Clinical Pharmacology and Cardiovascular Medicine. He aspires to develop novel clinical therapeutics for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. He has published more than 60 scientific papers in international peer-reviewed journals, including First-authored articles in JAMA, JAMA Cardiology, European Heart Journal, and Stroke. He is the Review Editor for Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, and served as reviewer for European Heart Journal, JAMA Network Open, JACC Clinical Electrophysiology, Heart Rhythm, and International Journal of Cardiology.
Dr. Chan’s clinical interests entail all areas of Clinical Cardiology including percutaneous interventions, arrhythmias, and cardiac device therapy. He is currently the Coordinator of genetic studies in the Cardiology Division of Queen Mary Hospital. He also co-established the Cardiac Oncology Research Program at HKU under the Dean’s Fund, with an aim of shedding lights on aetiology and fight against the clinical burden of heart diseases in cancer patients.
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Clinical Cardiology
- Mendelian Randomization and Therapeutic Target Prioritization
- Endothelial Dysfunction and Translational Research
- Cardiac Oncology Research
- Clinical Trials
- Chan YH, Hai JJ, Tse HF. Malignant Arrhythmia in a 40-Year-Old Man. JAMA Cardiology. 2018 Apr 18. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2017.4508.
- Chan YH (First and Corresponding Author), Schooling M. Performance of immunochemical fecal occult blood tests among users of low-dose aspirin. JAMA. 2011 Mar 16;305(11):1093 (Letter)
- Chan YH, Schooling CM, Zhao J, Au Yeung SL, Hai JJ, Thomas GN, Cheng KK, Jiang CQ, Wong YK, Au KW, Tang CS, Cheung CYY, Xu A, Sham PC, Lam TH, Lam KSL, Tse HF. Mendelian Randomization Focused Analysis of Vitamin D on the Secondary Prevention of Ischemic Stroke. Stroke. 2021 Sep 27:STROKEAHA120032634. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.120.032634.
- Chan YH, Tse HF. Potassium homeostasis in patients with atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2019 Aug 21. pii: pvz034. doi: 10.1093/ehjcvp/pvz034.
- Chan YH, Ngai MC, Chen Y, Wu MZ, Yu YJ, Zhen Z, Lai K, Cheung T, Ho LM, Chung HY, Lau CS, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Cumulative Rheumatic Inflammation Modulates the Bone-Vascular Axis and Risk of Coronary Calcification. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Jun 4;8(11):e011540. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.118.011540.
- Chan YH, Ngai MC, Chen Y, Wu MZ, Yu YJ, Zhen Z, Lai K, Cheung T, Ho LM, Chung HY, Lau CS, Lau CP, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Osteogenic circulating endothelial progenitor cells are linked to electrocardiographic conduction abnormalities in rheumatic patients. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2019 Sep;24(5):e12651. doi: 10.1111/anec.12651. Epub 2019 Apr 24.
- Chan YH, Siu CW, Yiu KH, Yiu YF, Lau KK, Lam TH, Lau CP, Tse HF. Prolongation of PR interval is associated with endothelial dysfunction and activation of vascular repair in high-risk cardiovascular patients. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2013
- Chan YH, Yiu KH, Lau KK, Yiu YF, Li SW, Lam TH, Lau CP, Siu CW, Tse HF. The CHADS2 and CHA2DS2-VASc scores predict adverse vascular function, ischemic stroke and cardiovascular death in high-risk patients without atrial fibrillation: role of incorporating PR prolongation. Atherosclerosis. 2014 Dec;237(2):504-13. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2014.08.026.
- Chan YH, Schooling CM, Zhao JV, Yeung SA, Hai JJ, Thomas GN, Cheng KK, Jiang CQ, Wong YK, Au KW, Tang CS, Cheung CYY, Xu A, Sham PC, Lam TH, Lam KS, Tse HF. Mendelian randomization analysis of vitamin D in the secondary prevention of hypertensive-diabetic subjects: role of facilitating blood pressure control. Genes Nutr. 2022 Jan 29;17(1):1. doi: 10.1186/s12263-022-00704-z.
- Chan YH, Lau KK, Yiu KH, Li SW, Chan HT, Fong YT, Tam S, Lau CP, Tse HF. Reduction of C-Reactive Protein with Isoflavone Supplement Reverses Endothelial Dysfunction in Patients with Ischaemic Stroke. Eur Heart J 2008 Nov;29(22):2800-7. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehn409. Epub 2008 Sep 23.
Awards and Prizes
- Li Shu Fan Medical Fellowship for Internal Medicine, The University of Hong Kong 2021/22
- Hong Kong Heart Foundation Fellowship 2020/2021, Hong Kong College of Cardiology
- Highest Ranking Abstract (Hong Kong), American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Session, Washington D.C., USA 2017
- Young Investigator Award (Clinical), Honorable Mention, 9th Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society Scientific Session, Seoul, Korea 2016
- Outstanding Staff and Teams Award, Member of Cardiology Team (Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory, Queen Mary Hospital), Hong Kong Hospital Authority 2019, in recognition of contribution to the outstanding achievement of the team
- Young Investigator Research Grant, Hong Kong College of Physicians 2021
- Hospital Authority Corporate Scholarship, Hong Kong Hospital Authority 2019-2020
- Best Paper Awards, Hong Kong College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Congress (2013 and 2017)
- Best Poster Award, 6th Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society & Cardiorhythm 2013
- “PR Interval Prolongation-Induced Abnormal Vascular Function and Cardiovascular Death through Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Activation: A Mendelian Randomization Study”, RGC ECS HKU 786012M (HK$1,045,744) (Principal Investigator)
- "Mendelian Randomization to Causally Infer the Impact of Life-Long Vitamin D Deficiency on Cardiovascular Disease and Death: Implications for Community-Based Cardiovascular Prevention", Health and Medical Research Fund 2012, Food and Health Bureau, Hong Kong SAR Government (HK$999,000) (Original Principal Investigator)
- “Research Program on Cardio-Oncology: Developing Holistic Heart Care for Cancer Patients”, Li Shu Pui Medical Foundation Fellowship/ Dean’s Fund, University of Hong Kong (HK$2,000,000) (Founding Co-Investigator)
- “Projecting ischaemic heart disease mortality and morbidity in Hong Kong”, Health and Health Services Research Fund 2010, Food and Health Bureau, Hong Kong SAR Government (Co-investigator)
- “Assessing the Safety of Statin Use Among Adolescents Using Genetic Variations of 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl-CoA Reductase (HMGCR): A Mendelian Randomization Study”, Health and Medical Research Fund 2020, Hong Kong (Co-investigator)
- Coordinator/ Cardiologist-in-Charge for Cardiovascular Genetics, Cardiology Division, Queen Mary Hospital
- Li Shu Fan Fellow for Internal Medicine 2021/2022, Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong
- Review Editor, Cardiac Rhythmology, Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine