Dr Li is jointly appointed by the Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine, and the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy at HKU. Before joining HKU, she obtained Master of Medicine at Peking Union Medical College, Tsinghua University and a PhD in Public Health at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr Li’s primary research interests lie in health technology assessment (HTA), health economics and real-world outcome (HEOR) research using decision analytic models and routine health records. Dr Li has expertise in healthcare data analytics, cost-effectiveness modelling and health policy evaluation. Since joining HKU, Dr Li has led and contributed to many HEOR projects, all of which involves dynamic interactions with local and international academic collaorators, local government, industry partners, NGOs and other key opinion leaders.
- Health techonology assessment
- Rountine care data and real-world outcome research
- Decision modelling for chronic disease management
- Health service and policy research
- Decision analytic modelling for cost-effectiveness evaluation
- Big-data based epidemiology and health economics study
- Discrete choice experiment for behaviour and choice assessment
- Interrupted time series analysis for policy evaluation
- Chan AYL, Chan VKY, Olsson S, Fan M, Jit M, Gong M, Zhang S, Ge M, Pathadka S, Chung CCY, Chung BHY, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Wong GHY, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Ip P*, Li X*. Access and unmet needs of orphan drugs in 194 Countries and six areas: a global policy review with content analysis. Value in Health. 2020 Dec; 23(12):1580-159 (IF 5.156, 9/88 in Health Policy & Services, Q1; selected equity access tools for Rare Disease International, https://www.rarediseasesinternational.org/equity-access-tools/).
- Chan VKY, Cheung ECL, Chan Sandra SM, Knapp M, Hayes JF, Min F, Lai FTT, Luo H, Lum T, Wong RSM, Lau LKW, Wan EYF, Wong GHY, Chan EW, Ip P, Wong ICK*, Li X*. Mortality-causing mechanisms and healthcare resource utilisation of treatment-resistant depression: a six-year population-based cohort study. The Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific, Volume 22, 100426, May 01, 2022. (IF 8.599, 3/109 in Health Care science & Service, Q1; Cover Issue of May 2022 with media-release https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20220317-treatment-resistant-depression ).
- Tong XN, Li X*, Pratt NL, Hillen JB, Stanford T, Ward M, Roughead EE, Lai ECC, Shin JY, Cheng FWT, Peng K, Lau CS, Leung WK, Wong ICK. Monoclonal antibodies and Fc-fusion protein biologic medicines: a multinational cross-sectional investigation of accessibility and affordability in Asia Pacific regions between 2010 and 2020. Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific, Volume 26, 100506, September 01, 2022. (IF 8.599, 3/109 in Health Care science & Service, Q1; Cover Issue of September 2022).
- Li X, Tong X, Yeung WWY, Peng K, Yum SHH, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Chan EW, Lau CS, Wong ICK. Two-dose Covid-19 vaccination and possible arthritis flare among patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Hong Kong. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2022 Apr;81(4):564-568 (IF 28.003, 3/34 in Rheumatology, Q1; 2022 Research Output Prize, LKS Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong).
Selected Publications Selected publication as first, co-first, and corresponding authors
[*Corresponding author, # Co-first author]
Real-world outcome research
- Tong X, Shen CY, Jeon Ha-Lim, Li Y; Shin Ju-Young, Chan SCW, Yiu KH; Pratt NL, Ward M; Lau CS, Wong Ian CK, Li X*, Lai ECC. Cardiovascular risk in patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving targeted synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs: a multi-centre retrospective cohort study. Journal of Internal Medicine. (in-press, IF 13.608, 16/172 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q1).
- Chan VKY, Luo H, Chan SSM, Lau CS, Yeung WWY, Peng K, Tong X, Lam MPS, Wong ICK, Li X*. Treatment-resistant depression and risk of autoimmune diseases: evidence from a population-based cohort and nested case-control study. Translational Psychiatry. 2023 Mar 3;13(1):76. (IF 7.989, 24/155 in Psychiatry, Q1).
- Chan VKY, Cheung ECL, Chan Sandra SM, Knapp M, Hayes JF, Min F, Lai FTT, Luo H, Lum T, Wong RSM, Lau LKW, Wan EYF, Wong GHY, Chan EW, Ip P, Wong ICK*, Li X*. Mortality-causing mechanisms and healthcare resource utilisation of treatment-resistant depression: a six-year population-based cohort study. Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific. 2022 Mar 15;22:100426. (IF 8.599, 3/109 in Health Care science & Service, Q1).
- Zhang Y, Li X*, Chan VKY, Luo H, Chan SSM, Wong GHY, Wong ICK, Lum TYS. Depression duration and risk of incident cardiovascular disease: A population-based six-year cohort study. Journal of Affective Disorder. 2022 Mar 15;305:188-195. (IF 6.533, 29/212 in Clinical Neurology, Q1).
- Ge MQ, Man KK, Chui CS, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Li X*. Prevalence, safety and long-term retention rates of biologics in Hong Kong from 2001-2015. Drug Safety. 2019 Sep;42(9):1091-1102. (IF 5.228, 67/279 in Pharmacology & Pharmacy, Q1).
- Peng K, Blais JE, Pratt NL, Guo JJ, Hillen JB, Stanford T, Ward M, Lai EC, Shin JY, Tong X, Fan M, Cheng FWT, Wu J, Yeung WWY, Lau CS, Leung WK, Wong ICK, Li X*. Impact of Introducing Infliximab Biosimilars on Total Infliximab Consumption and Originator Infliximab Prices in Eight Regions: An Interrupted Time-Series Analysis. BioDrugs. 2023 Mar;37(3):409-420. doi: 10.1007/s40259-023-00589-3. (IF 7.744, 23/279 in Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Q1).
- Peng K, Li Y, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Li X*. Cost-Effectiveness of Direct Oral Anticoagulants in Patients With Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation in Hong Kong. Value in Health Regional Issues. 2023 Apr 6;36:51-57.
- Chan VKY, Yang RQ, Wong ICK, Li X*. Cost-effectiveness of poly ADP-ribose polymerase inhibitors in cancer treatment: a systematic review. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2022 Jul 11;13:891149. (IF 5.988, 50/276 in Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Q1).
- Shami JP, Patha S, Chan EW, Hui J, Sato R, Patil S, Li X*. Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of a sequential pneumococcal vaccination compared to single dose vaccination strategy for adults in Hong Kong. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2020 Aug 2;16(8):1937-1944. (IF 4.526, 86/168 in Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology, Q3).
- Li X, Pathadka S, Man KK, Wong ICK, Chan EWY. Budget impact of introducing tofacitinib to the public hospital formulary in Hong Kong, 2017-2021. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2019 Jun;25(3):201-208. (IF 3.125, 81/172 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q2).
Health policy research
- Tong XN, Li X*, Pratt NL, Hillen JB, Stanford T, Ward M, Roughead EE, Lai ECC, Shin JY, Cheng FWT, Peng K, Lau CS, Leung WK, Wong ICK. Monoclonal antibodies and Fc-fusion protein biologic medicines: a multinational cross-sectional investigation of accessibility and affordability in Asia Pacific regions between 2010 and 2020. Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific. 2022 Jun 24;26:100506.(IF 8.599, 3/109 in Health Care science & Service, Q1).
- Chan AY, Chan VK, Olsson S, Fan M, Jit M, Gong MC, Zhang SY, Ge MQ, Pathadka S, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Chung CCY, Chung BHY, Wong GHY, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Ip P*, Li X*. Access and unmet needs of orphan drugs in 194 Countries and six areas: a global policy review with content analysis. Value in Health. 2020 Dec;23(12):1580-1591. (IF 5.156, 9/88 in Health Policy & Services, Q1).
- Fan M, Chan AY, Yan VKC, Tong X, Lau LKW, Wan EYF, Tam EYY, Ip P, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Li X*. Postmarketing safety of orphan drugs: a longitudinal analysis of the US Food and Drug Administration database between 1999 and 2018. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2022 Jan 4;17(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s13023-021-02166-9. (IF 4.302, 61/175 in Genetics & Heredity, Q2).
- Yu QY, Li X#,*, Fan M, Qiu H, Wong AYS, Tian LW, Chui CSL, Li PH, Lau LKW, Chan EW, Goggins WB, Ip P, Lum TY, Hung IFN, Cowling BJ, Wong ICK, Jit M. The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine immunization on all-cause pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a 14-year population-based interrupted time series analysis. Vaccine. 2021 May 6;39(19):2628-2635. (IF 4.169, 73/139 in Medicine, Research & Experimental, Q3).
Covid-19 related research
- Li X, Peng K, Cheng FWT, Lam DCL, Cheung CL, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Ma T, Yum SHH, Chan EWY, Huang JD, Lau CS, Ip MSM, Wong ICK. Tuberculosis following two-dose SARS-CoV-2 vaccination with messenger RNA vaccine (BNT162b2) and inactivated virus vaccine (CoronaVac). Journal of Infection. 2022 Dec 17:S0163-4453(22)00706-X. (IF 38.637, Rank 4/95 in Infectious Diseases, Q1).
- Li X, Tong X, Yeung WWY, Peng K, Yum SHH, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Chan EW, Lau CS, Wong ICK. Two-dose Covid-19 vaccination and possible arthritis flare among patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Hong Kong. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2022 Apr;81(4):564-568. (IF 28.003, 3/34 in Rheumatology, Q1).
- Li X, Tong X, Wong ICK, Peng K, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Leung WK, Chan EW. Lack of inflammatory bowel disease flare-up following two-dose BNT162b2 vaccine: a population-based cohort study. Gut. 2022 Dec;71(12):2608-2611. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2021-326860. (IF 31.795, 4/93 in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Q1).Li X, Lai FTT, Chua GT, Kwan MYW, Lau YL, Ip P, Wong ICK. Myocarditis following the single-dose recommendation of BNT162b2 among adolescents in Hong Kong. JAMA Pediatrics. 2022 Jun 1;176(6),pp.612-614. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2022.0101. (IF 26.800, 2/130 in Pediatrics, Q1).
- Lai FTT, Li X#, Peng K, Huang L, Ip P, Tong X, Chui CSL, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Chan EW, Siu D, Wong ICK. Carditis after covid-19 vaccination with a messenger RNA vaccine and an inactivated virus vaccine: A Case-Control Study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2022 Mar;175(3):362-370. (IF 51.598, 6/172 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q1).
- Li X, Gao L, Tong X, Chan VKY, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wong CKH, Wan EYF, Chan EWY, Lau KK, Lau CS, Wong ICK. Autoimmune conditions following mRNA (BNT162b2) and inactivated (CoronaVac) COVID-19 vaccination: a descriptive cohort study among 1.1 million vaccinated people in Hong Kong. Journal of Autoimmunity. 2022 Apr 14;130:102830. (IF 14.511, 16/162 in Immunology, Q1).
Total number of refereed papers = 150; h-index: 50; Full publication list available at:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=FkHhrtMAAAAJ&hl=en
- 2022-Present Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee of Rare Disease Hong Kong
- 2022-Present Scientific Advisor for Rare Disease International (RDi)
- 2021-Present Member of The Observational Health Data Sciences and Informatics (OHDSI) APAC Steering Committee
- 2019-Present Degree Board Member Master of Medical Science, Master of Clinical Pharmacy at LKS Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong
- 2019-Present Member of international Health Technology Assessment (iHTA)
- 2014-Present Member of International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR), ISPOR Asia Consortium
Honours and Awards
- 2022 Faculty Research Output Prize (one as first author, two as co-authors)
- 2021 The Ronald D. Mann Best Paper Award, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety
- 2018 World Life Science Conference Travel Award
- 2017 Best Poster Award Finalist: International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 22nd Annual Meeting
- 2017 Pasteur Institute of Ho Chi Minh City Health Economics Workshop Travel Award
- 2017 Asian Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology Travel Award
External competitive grants in PC, PI and co-PI capacity
2023-26 Horizon Scanning of medium- to long-term burden of Chronic diseases And care Needs to 2030 in Hong Kong (SCAN-2030). Research Grant Council, Research Impact Fund (Ref: r7007-22F), Project Coordinator (HK$4,214,286), ongoing
2021-23 Cost-effectiveness of biologic originators versus biosimilars in patients with established rheumatoid arthritis: an application of real-world big data and disease simulation modeling. Research Grant Council, Early Career Scheme (Ref: 27603421), Principal Investigator (HK$697,970), ongoing
2021-24 A multinational big data Covid-19 Epidemiological Study on post-infection Outcomes (ACESO) Collabortive Research Fund, Research Grants Council (RGC Collaborative Research Fund (CRF) Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and Novel Infectious Disease (NID) Research Exercise Ref: C7154-20G), co-Principal Investigator (HK$9,691,060), ongoing
2019-20 The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) immunisation on pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a population-based interrupted time series analysis from 2004-2017, Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau of the Government of Hong Kong, Principal Investigator (HK$ 551,706), completed
Collaborative/contract research in PI capacity
2020-23 Understanding the barriers of using novel disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs among patients with autoimmune diseases in Hong Kong, Pfizer, Principal Investigator (HK$600,000 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$ 99,633.75), ongoing
2020-22 Cost-effectiveness of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation in Hong Kong, Pfizer, Principal Investigator (HK$558,969 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$93,104.75), completed
2020-23 Economic Model of Burden of Major Depression, Jansson, Principal Investigator (HK$693,840 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$230,432.7), coompleted
Total Grant monies awarded = ~HK$8,761,267 (as PC/PI); $20,714,816 (as co-I)
Current team members
- Ms Effie Ka Yue CHEUNG (Project Manager)
- Dr Jason Deliang YANG (Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Dr Mallory Man Yee LEUNG (Research Associate)
- Dr Xinning TONG (Honorary Research Associate)
- Ms Yin ZHANG (Research Assistant)
- Ms Qiwen FANG (Research Assistant)
- Mr Stone Yuanshi JIAO (Research Assistant)
- Ms Jingqi ZHANG (primary supervisor, PhD candidate, 2023-)
- Mr Kuan PENG (primary supervisor, PhD candidate, 2022-)
- Ms Qiuyan YU (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2021-)
- Ms Vivien Kin Yi CHAN (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2020-)
- Mr Yingyang ZHANG (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2019-23)
- Ms Yiyi TANG (Student Research Assistant)
- Ms Ziyan XIAO (Student Research Assistant)
(by alphabetic order)
- Beijing University, School of Pharmaceutical Science, China
- Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, China
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Fudan University, China
- Hong Kong Association of the Pharmaceutical Industry, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Hong Kong University Shen Zhen Hospital, China
- London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK
- National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- Newcastle University, UK
- Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Rare Disease Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Rare Disease International (RDi)
- Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
- Stanford University, School of Medicine, USA
- Tianjin University, School of Pharmacutical Science, China
- UCL School of Pharmacy, UK
- University of Cincinnati, James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, USA
- University of South Australia, Australia
Seeking PhD candidates, Research Assistants and Postdoctoral Fellows
I am seeking highly organised and motivated postdoctoral fellows and PhD candidates in the area of Health Technology Assessment, Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics. Team members will work on EMR-based unmet need identification, medication safety assessment, cost-benefit/cost-effective evaluation of biologics and innovative solutions to improve the early treatment accessibility and affordability of biological medicine, vaccine and orphan drugs. Interested candidates, please email Dr Li (email@example.com) with your CV, transcripts, and publications (if any) for our consideration.
PB306, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pok Fu Lam Road, Hong Kong