Dr Shirley Li is currently an Assistant Professor appointed jointly by the Department of Medicine and the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy at The University of Hong Kong. Before joining HKU, she obtained Master of Medicine at Peking Union Medical College, Tsinghua University and a PhD in Public Health at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr Li’s primary research interests lie in health technology assessment (HTA), health economics and real-world outcome (HEOR) research using decision analytic models and electronic health records (healthcare big data). Dr Li has expertise in healthcare data analytics, cost-effectiveness assessment for healthcare interventions, and population-based health policy evaluation. Since joining HKU in 2014, Dr Li has led and contributed to many HERO projects, all of which involves dynamic interactions with local and international academic collaorators, the local government, industry partners, NGOs and other key opinion leaders. Dr Li’s recent research focuses on the projection of healthcare expenditure on depression across lifespan and the development of outcome-based risk-sharing model for innovative and curative therapies.
Dr Li has published actively in the field of public health science, health service and health policy, covering the therapeutic areas of infectious diseases and vaccinology, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune diseases and rare diseases. Dr Li’s research work has been supported by Health and Medical Research Fund of the Food and Health Bureau of Hong Kong SAR Government (PI), HKU Seed Fund (PI), Pfizer Investigator-Innitiated Research Fund (PI), Janssen Educational Research Fund (PI) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (co-I).
- Health economics/pharmacoeconomics/health technology assessment
- Real-world outcomes research
- Patient-reported outcome research
- Health policy and service evaluation
- Methodological Knowledge:
- Decision analytic modelling for cost-effectiveness evaluation
- Big-data based epidemiology and health economics study
- Discrete choice experiment for behaviour and choice assessment
- Interrupted time series analysis for policy evaluation
- Shami JP,Patha S, Chan EW, Hui J, Sato R, Patil S, Li X*. Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of a sequential pneumococcal vaccination compared to single dose vaccination strategy for adults in Hong Kong. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jan 24]. 2020;1–8.
- Li X, Pathadka S, Man KM, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. Budget impact analysis of introducing tofacitinib for the treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 2019; 25 (3): 201-8. Epub 29 May 2019.
- Li X, Chan NS, Tam AW, Hung IFN, Chan EW*. Budget impact and cost-effectiveness analyses of direct-acting antivirals for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in Hong Kong, European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2017 Oct; 36(10):1801-1809.
- Li X, Tse VC, Lau WC, Cheung BM, Lip GY, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. Cost-effectiveness of apixaban versus warfarin for stroke prophylaxis in Chinese patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a combination of real-life data and modelling analyses, PloS One. 2016 Jun 30; 11(6): e0157129.
- Li X, Tse VC, Au-Doung LW, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. The impact of ischemic stroke on atrial fibrillation-related healthcare cost: a systematic review, Europace (2017) 19 (6): 937-947.
- Wan EYF, Chin WY, Yu EYT, Wong ICK, Chan EW, Li X, Cheung NKL, Wang Y, Lam CLK. The impact of cardiovascular disease and chronic kidney disease on life expectancy and direct medical cost in a 10-year diabetes cohort study. Diabetes Care (in-press).
Real-world outcome research
- Ge MQ#, Man KK#, Chui CS, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Li X*. Prevalence, safety and long-term retention rates of biologics in Hong Kong from 2001-2015. Drug Safety. 2019 Sep;42(9):1091-1102.
- Li X, Blais JE, Wong ICK, Tam AWY, Cowling BJ, Hung IFN, Chan EW*. Population-based estimates of the burden of pneumonia hospitalizations in Hong Kong, 2011-2015. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2019 Mar;38(3):553-561.
- Lau WCY, Li X, Wong ICK, Man KKC, Lip GYH, Leung WK, Siu CW, Chan EW*. Bleeding-related hospital admissions and 30-day re-admissions in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation treated with dabigatran versus warfarin, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2017 Oct;15(10):1923-1933.
- He Y, Wong ICK, Li X, Anand S, Leung WK, Siu CW and Chan EW*: The association between Non-Vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants and gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis of observational studies, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2016 Jul;82(1):285-300.
- Xiong X, Wong KK, Chi S, Zhou A, Tang L, Zhou L, Chung PH, Chua G, Tung KT, Wong ICK, Chui CS, Li X, Kwan MY, Wong WH, Ho MH, Chan GF, Cao G, Li K, Ip P, Chen P, Tang S, Tam PK. Comparative study of the clinical characteristics and epidemiological trend of 244 COVID-19 infected children with or without gastrointestinal symptoms. Gut Published Online First: 19 May 2020. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-321486.
Health policy and service research
- Chan AY, Chan VK, Olsson S, Fan M, Jit M, Gong MC, Zhang SY, Ge MQ, Pathadka S, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Chung CCY, Chung BHY, Wong GHY, Ip P, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Li X*. Orphan drugs - access and unmet needs in 194 countries and six regions: a comprehensive policy review with content analysis. The Lancet. 2019 Oct; 394(S1): S72.
- Tutino GE, Yang WY, Li X, Li WH, Zhang YY, Guo XH, Luk AO, Yeung RO, Yin JM, Ozaki R, So WY, Ma RC, Ji LN, Kong AP, Weng JP, Ko GT, Jia WP, Chan JC, China JADE Study Group. A multicentre demonstration project to evaluate the effectiveness and acceptability of the web-based Joint Asia Diabetes Evaluation (JADE) programme with or without nurse support in Chinese patients with Type 2 diabetes, Diabetic Medicine, 2017 Mar;34(3):440-450.
- Luk AO*, Li X, Zhang Y, Guo X, Jia W, Li W, Weng J, Yang W, Chan WB, Ozaki R, Tsang CC, Mukhopadhyay M, Ojha AK, Hong EG, Yoon KH, Sobrepena L, Toledo RM, Duran M, Sheu W, Q Do T, Nguyen TK, Ma RC, Kong AP, Chow CC, Tong PC, So WY, Chan JC; JADE Study Group. Quality of care in patients with diabetic kidney disease in Asia: The Joint Asia Diabetes Evaluation (JADE) Registry. Diabetic Medicine. 2016 Sep;33(9):1230-9.
- Luk AO*, Fu WC, Li X, Ozaki R, Chung HH, Wong RY, So WY, Chow FC, Chan JC. The Clinical Utility of SUDOSCAN in Chronic Kidney Disease in Chinese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, PLoS One, 2015 Aug 13;10(8): e0134981.
Patient-reported outcome research
- Li X, Wong ICK, McGhee SM, Kwan MYW, Wong CKH, Ip DKM, Chau J, Chan EW*. Mothers’ preference and willingness to pay for human papillomavirus vaccination for their daughters: a discrete choice experiment, Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2018 Oct;24 Suppl 6(5):34-36.
- Chua GT, Ho FK, Tung KT, Wong RS, Cheong KN, Yip PS, Fan SY, Wong WH, Qiao YL, Chui CS, Li X, Ip P*. Sexual behaviors and intention for cervical screening among HPV-vaccinated young Chinese females. Vaccine. 2020 Jan 29;38(5):1025-1031.
- Guan Y, Castle PE, Wang S, Li B, Feng C, Ci P, Li X, Gravitt P, Qiao YL*. A cross-sectional study on the acceptability of self-collection for HPV testing among women in rural China, Sexual Transmitted Infections, 2012 Nov; 88(7):490-4.
- Vice-President (External), Hong Kong Chapter, International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
- Member, ISPOR Asia Consortium
- Member, International Health Economics Association (iHEA)
- Member, International Health Techonology Assessment (HTAi)
- Member, Neurological and Mental Health Global Epidemiology Network (NeuroGEN)
Honours and Awards
- World Life Science Conference Travel Award, 2018
- Pasteur Institute of Ho Chi Minh City Health Economics Workshop Travel Award, 2017
- CUHK Global Scholarship Program for Research Excellence, 2011-12
- Peer-reviewer, Value in Health since 2014
- Peer-reviewer, Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics since 2019
- 2019-20 The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) immunisation on pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a population-based interrupted time series analysis from 2004-2017, Health and Medical Research Fund (HK$ 551,706)
- 2019-21 Treatment, survival, prognosis and resource utilization in patients with rare diseases in Hong Kong, HKU Seed Fund for Basic Research for New Staff (HK$150,000)
- 2020-22 Economic Model of Burden of Major Depression, Jansson Educational Grant (HK$693,840)
- 2020-22 Cost-effectiveness of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation in Hong Kong, Pfizer Investigator Innitiated Research Fund (HK$558,969)
- 2018-20 Preferences and willingness-to-pay for novel anticoagulation therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation in China, National Natural Science Fund of China (NSFC) – Young Scientist Fund (CNY180,000)
- 2019-21 Disease and treatment burden of Motor Neuron Disease: with the use of big data platform (NeuroGEN), HKU Seed Fund for Basic Research for New Staff (HK$150,000)
- 2020-21 International Big Data Network for Attention Deficit and / Hyperactivity Disorder: Development and Application of Data Platform, Collabortive Research Fund, Research Grants Council (HK$2,203,537)