Dr Li is jointly appointed by the Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine, and the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy at HKU. Before joining HKU, she obtained Master of Medicine at Peking Union Medical College, Tsinghua University and a PhD in Public Health at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr Li’s recent research focuses on biologics utilization and safety, the regional economic burden, the cost-effective solutions for autoimmune diseases, and the development of outcome-based risk-sharing model for innovative and curative therapies. As a core member of CARE Programme (COVID-19 Vaccines Adverse Events Response and Evaluation Programme, https://www.hkcare.hku.hk/ ), Dr Li has led and contributed to several territory-wide, population-based vaccine safety assessement, particulary for patients with immunological conditions. Dr Li also acts as a co-investigator of AI and Pharmaceuticals in Non-Communicable Diseases (Program 4) at the Laboratory of Data Discovery for Health (D²4H, https://www.d24h.hk ).
Dr Li’s research work has been supported by RGC/Early Career Scheme (PI), RGC Collaborative Research Fund (co-PI), Health and Medical Research Fund of the Food and Health Bureau of Hong Kong SAR Government (PI and co-I), HKU Seed Fund (PI), Pfizer Investigator-Innitiated Research Fund (PI), Janssen Educational Research Fund (PI) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (co-I). Dr Li has published actively in the field of pharmacoepidemiology, HTA and health policy. She has co-authored more than 100 research articles including top-tier specialty journals in Lancet, JAMA and BMJ families.
- Health technology assessment
- Routine care data and real-world outcome research
- Health service and policy research
Recent publication as first, co-first, and corresponding authors
[*Corresponding author, # Co-first author]
- Li X, Tong X, Yeung WWY, Peng K, Yum SHH, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Chan EW, Lau CS, Wong ICK. Two-dose Covid-19 vaccination and possible arthritis flare among patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Hong Kong. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2022 Apr;81(4):564-568. (IF 19.103, 2/34 in Rheumatology, Q1).
- Li X, Tong X, Wong ICK, Peng K, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Leung WK, Chan EW. Lack of inflammatory bowel disease flare-up following two-dose BNT162b2 vaccine: a population-based cohort study. Gut Published Online First: 08 February 2022. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2021-326860 (IF 23.059, 3/92 in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Q1).
- Li X, Lai FTT, Chua GT, Kwan MYW, Lau YL, Ip P, Wong ICK. Myocarditis following the single-dose recommendation of BNT162b2 among adolescents in Hong Kong. JAMA Pediatrics. Published online February 25, 2022. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2022.0101 (IF 16.193, 1/129 in Pediatrics, Q1).
- Lai FTT, Li X#, Peng K, Huang L, Ip P, Tong X, Chui CSL, Wan EYF, Wong CKH, Chan EW, Siu D, Wong ICK. Carditis after covid-19 vaccination with a messenger RNA vaccine and an inactivated virus vaccine: A Case-Control Study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2022 Jan 25. 2022 Mar;175(3):362-370. (IF 25.391, 6/167 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q1).
- Li X, Gao L, Tong X, Chan VKY, Chui CSL, Lai FTT, Wong CKH, Wan EYF, Chan EWY, Lau KK, Lau CS, Wong ICK. Autoimmune conditions following mRNA (BNT162b2) and inactivated (CoronaVac) COVID-19 vaccination: a descriptive cohort study among 1.1 million vaccinated people in Hong Kong. Journal of Autoimmunity 2022 (in-press) (IF 7.094, 33/162 in Immunology, Q1).
- Yu QY, Li X#,*, Fan M, Qiu H, Wong AYS, Tian LW, Chui CSL, Li PH, Lau LKW, Chan EW, Goggins WB, Ip P, Lum TY, Hung IFN, Cowling BJ, Wong ICK, Jit M. The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine immunization on all-cause pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a 14-year population-based interrupted time series analysis. Vaccine. 2021 May 6;39(19):2628-2635 (IF 3.641, 65/177 in Immunology, Q2).
- Li X*, Chong MY, Chan CY, Chan VWS, Tong X. COVID-19 vaccine preferences among university students in Hong Kong: a discrete choice experiment. BMC Research Notes. 2021 Nov 22;14(1):421.
- Li X, Pathadka S, Man KK, Ng VW, Siu CW, Wong ICK, Chan EW, Lau WCY. Comparative outcomes between direct oral anticoagulants, warfarin, and antiplatelet monotherapy among Chinese patients with atrial fibrillation: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Drug Safety.2020 Oct;43(10):1023-1033 (IF 5.606, 25/203 in Public, Environmental & Occupational Health, Q1).
- Li X, Pathadka S, Man KK, Wong ICK, Chan EWY. Budget impact of introducing tofacitinib to the public hospital formulary in Hong Kong, 2017-2021. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2019 Jun;25(3):201-208. (IF 2.070, 94/167 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q3)
- Li X, Blais JE, Wong ICK, Tam AWY, Cowling BJ, Hung IFN, Chan EWY. Population-based estimates of the burden of pneumonia hospitalizations in Hong Kong, 2011-2015. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2019 Mar;38(3):553-561. (IF 3.267, 53/118 in Infectious Disease, Q2).
- Li X, Tse VC, Au-Doung LW, Wong ICK, Chan EW. The impact of ischaemic stroke on atrial fibrillation-related healthcare cost: a systematic review. Europace. 2017 Jun 1;19(6):937-947 (IF 5.214, 33/196 in Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems, Q1).
Li X, Chan NS, Tam AW, Hung IFN, Chan EW. Budget impact and cost-effectiveness analyses of direct-acting antivirals for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in Hong Kong. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2017 Oct;36(10):1801-1809. (IF 3.267, 53/118 in Infectious Disease, Q2).
Li X, Wong IC, McGhee SM, Kwan MY, Wong CK, Ip DK, Chau J, Chan EW. Mothers' preference and willingness to pay for human papillomavirus vaccination for their daughters: a discrete choice experiment. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2018 Oct;24 Suppl 6(5):34-36. (IF 2.070, 94/167 in Medicine, General & Internal, Q3).
Chan VKY, Yang RQ, Wong ICK, Li X*. Cost-effectiveness of poly ADP-ribose polymerase inhibitors in cancer treatment: a systematic review. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2022 (in-press). (IF 5.811, 40/276 in Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Q1).
Tong XN, Li X*, Pratt NL, Hillen JB, Stanford T, Ward M, Roughead EE, Lai ECC, Shin JY, Cheng FWT, Peng K, Lau CS, Leung WK, Wong ICK. Monoclonal antibodies and Fc-fusion protein biologic medicines: a multinational cross-sectional investigation of accessibility and affordability in Asia Pacific regions between 2010 and 2020. Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific. 2022 (in-press).
- Chan VKY, Cheung ECL, Chan Sandra SM, Knapp M, Hayes JF, Min F, Lai FTT, Luo H, Lum T, Wong RSM, Lau LKW, Wan EYF, Wong GHY, Chan EW, Ip P, Wong ICK*, Li X*. Mortality-causing mechanisms and healthcare resource utilisation of treatment-resistant depression: a six-year population-based cohort study. Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific. 2022 Mar 15;22:100426. (Lancet Regional Health Western Pacific Cover Issue of May 2022; HKUMed Media Release: https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20220317-treatment-resistant-depression)
- Zhang Y, Li X*, Chan VKY, Luo H, Chan SSM, Wong GHY, Wong ICK, Lum TYS. Depression duration and risk of incident cardiovascular disease: A population-based six-year cohort study. Journal of Affective Disorder. 2022 May 15;305:188-195. (IF 4.893, 25/144 in Psychiatry, Q1).
- Fan M, Chan AY, Yan VKC, Tong X, Lau LKW, Wan EYF, Tam EYY, Ip P, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Li X*. Postmarketing safety of orphan drugs: a longitudinal analysis of the US Food and Drug Administration database between 1999 and 2018. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2022 Jan 4;17(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s13023-021-02166-9. (IF 4.123, 65/176 in Genetics & Heredity, Q2).
- Chan AY, Chan VK, Olsson S, Fan M, Jit M, Gong MC, Zhang SY, Ge MQ, Pathadka S, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Chung CCY, Chung BHY, Wong GHY, Lum TY, Wong ICK, Ip P, Li X*. Access and unmet needs of orphan drugs in 194 Countries and six areas: a global policy review with content analysis. Value in Health. 2020 Dec;23(12):1580-1591 (IF 5.728, 4/88 in Health Policy & Services, Q1).
- Shami JP, Patha S, Chan EW, Hui J, Sato R, Patil S, Li X*. Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of a sequential pneumococcal vaccination compared to single dose vaccination strategy for adults in Hong Kong. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2020 Aug 2;16(8):1937-1944. (IF 3.452, 68/159 in Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology, Q2).
- Ge MQ, Man KK, Chui CS, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Li X*. Prevalence, safety and long-term retention rates of biologics in Hong Kong from 2001-2015. Drug Safety. 2019 Sep;42(9):1091-1102. (IF 5.606, 25/203 in Public, Environmental & Occupational Health, Q1).
Full publication list available at:https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Xue-Li-23
- Member, ISPOR Asia Consortium
- Member, International Health Techonology Assessment (HTAi)
- Member, Steering Committee of OHDSI APAC China Chapter
External competitive grants
- 2021-23 Cost-effectiveness of biologic originators versus biosimilars in patients with established rheumatoid arthritis: an application of real-world big data and disease simulation modeling. Research Grant Council, Early Career Scheme (Ref: 27603421), Principal Investigator (HK$697,970), ongoing
- 2021-24 A multinational big data Covid-19 Epidemiological Study on post-infection Outcomes (ACESO) Collabortive Research Fund, Research Grants Council (RGC Collaborative Research Fund (CRF) Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and Novel Infectious Disease (NID) Research Exercise Ref: C7154-20G), co-Principal Investigator (HK$9,691,060), ongoing
- 2019-20 The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) immunisation on pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a population-based interrupted time series analysis from 2004-2017, Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau of the Government of Hong Kong, Principal Investigator (HK$ 551,706), completed
- 2020-22 Understanding the barriers of using novel disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs among patients with autoimmune diseases in Hong Kong, Pfizer, Principal Investigator (HK$600,000 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$ 99,633.75), ongoing
- 2020-22 Cost-effectiveness of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation in Hong Kong, Pfizer, Principal Investigator (HK$558,969 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$93,104.75), ongoing
- 2020-22 Economic Model of Burden of Major Depression, Jansson, Principal Investigator (HK$693,840 and UGC-Research Matching Fund: HK$230,432.7), ongoing
Current team members
Dr Xinning TONG (Postdoctoral Fellow)
Dr Mallory Man Yee LEUNG (Research Associate)
Ms Yihua LI (Research Assistant)
Mr Kuan PENG (primary-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2022-)
Ms Runqing YANG (primary-supervisor, HKU Presidential PhD Scholar, 2021-)
Ms Qiuyan YU (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2021-)
Ms Vivien Kin Yi CHAN (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2020-)
Mr Yingyang ZHANG (co-supervisor, PhD candidate, 2019-)
Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
Hong Kong Association of the Pharmaceutical Industry, Hong Kong SAR
London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
Rare Disease Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
Tianjin University, China
UCL School of Pharmacy, UK
University of South Australia, Australia
Seeking PhD candidates, Research Assistants and Postdoctoral Fellows
We are seeking highly organised and motivated postdoctoral fellows and PhD candidates in area of Health Technology Assessment, Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics. Team members will work on population-based medication safety assessment, cost-benefit/cost-effective assessment of biologics and the innovative solutions to improve the ealy treatment accessibility and affordability of biological medicine and vaccine. Interested candidates please email Dr Li (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your CV, transcripts, and publications (if any) for our consideration.
Office PB324, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pok Fu Lam Road, Hong Kong