Dr. Gill Harinder Singh Harry graduated from the University of Hong Kong in 2006 and joined the Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital in 2007. He joined the University as Clinical Assistant Professor in 2014. He completed his training in Haematology and Haematological Oncology, and Advanced Internal Medicine in 2013 and 2014 respectively. He also underwent training in Haematopathology and was conferred Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists in February 2019.
One of his key research areas since 2010 is the application of oral arsenic trioxide in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukaemia (APL) and mantle cell lymphoma. He is the principal investigator of clinical trials on oral arsenic trioxide-based regimens for newly diagnosed and relapsed acute promyelocytic leukaemia in Hong Kong. He showed that a second complete remission rate of 100 percent and 10-year overall survival of more than 80 percent can be achieved in relapsed APL with oral arsenic trioxide-based regimen without haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). His study on frontline oral arsenic trioxide, all-trans-retinoic acid, ascorbic acid-based induction in newly diagnosed APL has also shown 100% complete remission rate with a 5-year leukaemia-free and overall survival of 100%, implying a universal cure can be achieved with frontline oral arsenic trioxide-based regimen in APL. In another ongoing study, a completely chemotherapy-free and oral regimen for APL is being evaluated (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03624270). He is also leading an APL Asian Consortium Project. Dr. Gill also leads local and regional research on myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) with specific focus on molecular alterations and novel therapeutics in these disorders. He initiated the use of next-generation sequencing in MDS and MPN research in the Department of Medicine, HKU. He is leading a multinational study on the genomics of MDS in Asia (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03169296).
- Acute promyelocytic leukaemia
- Applications of oral arsenic trioxide
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Myeloproliferative Neoplasm
- Acute myeloid leukaemia
- Next-generation sequencing
- Gill H, Kumana CR, Yim R, Hwang YY, Chan TS, Yip SF, Lee HK, Mak V, Lau JS, Chan CC, Kho B. Oral arsenic trioxide incorporation into frontline treatment with all‐trans retinoic acid and chemotherapy in newly diagnosed acute promyelocytic leukemia: A 5‐year prospective study. Cancer. 2019; 125(17): 3001-3012.
- Gill H, Ip HW, Yim R, Tang WF, Pang HH, Lee P, Leung GMK, Li J, Tang K, So JCC, Leung RYY, Li J, Panagioutou G, Lam CCK, Kwong YL. Next-generation sequencing with a 54-gene panel identified unique mutational profile and prognostic markers in Chinese patients with myelofibrosis. Ann. Hematol. 2019; 98(4): 869-879
- Gill H, Yim R, Lee HKK, Mak V, Lin SY, Kho B, Yip SF, Lau JSM, Li W, Ip HW, Hwang YY, Chan TSY, Tse E, Au WY, Kumana CR, Kwong YL. Long-term outcome of relapsed acute promyelocytic leukemia treated with oral arsenic trioxide-based reinduction and maintenance regimens: A 15-year prospective study. Cancer. 2018; 124 (11): 2316-2326
- Gill H, Leung GM, Lopes D, Kwong YL. The thrombopoietin mimetics eltrombopag and romiplostim in the treatment of refractory aplastic anaemia. Br J Haematol. 2017; 176(6): 991-4.
- Gill H, Leung AY, Kwong YL. Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Implications on Targeted Therapy. Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17(4): 440.
- Lam SS, Ho ES, He BL, Wong WW, Cher CY, Ng NK, Man CH, Gill H, Cheung AM, Ip HW, So CC, Tamburini J, So CW, Ho DN, Au CH, Chan TL, Ma ES, Liang R, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Homoharringtonine (omacetaxine mepesuccinate) as an adjunct for FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukemia. Sci Transl Med 2016; 8(359): 359ra129.
- Gill H, Man CH, Ip AH, Choi WW, Chow HC, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Azacitidine as post-remission consolidation for sorafenib-induced remission of Fms-like tyrosine kinase-3 internal tandem duplication positive acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica 2015; 100(7): e250-3.
- Gill H, Leung AY, Kwong YL. Molecularly targeted therapy in acute myeloid leukemia. Future Oncol. 2015; 12(6): 826-38
- Gill H, Au WY, Cheung WW, Kwong YL. Oral arsenic trioxide based regimen as salvage treatment for relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma. Ann. Oncol. 2014; 25 (7): 1391-7
- Man CH, Lam SS, Sun MK, Chow HC, Gill H, Kwong YL, Leung AY. A novel tescalcin-sodium/hydrogen exchange axis underlying sorafenib resistance in FLT3-ITD+ AML. Blood 2014; 123 (16): 2530-9.