Dr. Wong Chun Ka
Clinical Assistant Professor
- MBBS (HK), FHKCP, FHKAM, MRCP (UK)
Dr. Chun-Ka Wong is Clinical Assistant Professor in Cardiology in the University of Hong Kong and Honorary Resident in Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. Dr. Wong obtained Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree from the University of Hong Kong in 2015. Subsequently he received clinical and interventional cardiology training in Queen Mary Hospital. He is currently pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the University of Hong Kong. Dr. Wong’s research interests include atrial fibrillation and stem cell science. To date, he has published over 40 articles in peer reviewer journals including Circulation.
Dr. Wong and his research team were pioneers in atrial fibrillation and cardiac rhythm diagnostics. They were the first to demonstrate feasibility of costless atrial fibrillation screening using smartphone cameras and photoplethysmography (PPG). Furthermore, using computer vision and deep learning approaches, Dr. Wong and his team developed a smartphone application that could autonomously extract electrocardiogram (ECG) signals and deduce cardiac rhythm diagnosis from photos of ECGs taken by clinicians.
Dr. Wong is experienced in utilizing human induced pluripotent stem cells (HiPSC) and their derived cells for disease modelling and translational therapies. At the early phase of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Dr. Wong and his colleagues demonstrated pathogenic mechanisms of COVID-19 associated myocardial injury using HiPSC-derived cardiomyocytes and studied effect of cardiometabolic medications on disease phenotype. Currently, Dr. Wong is focusing on mechanistic studies and therapeutic strategies of newly emerged disease entities including mRNA vaccine and immune checkpoint inhibitor associated myocarditis.
- Chan PH, Wong CK, Pun L, Wong YF, Wong MM, Chu DW, Siu CW. Head-to-Head Comparison of the AliveCor Heart Monitor and Microlife WatchBP Office AFIB for Atrial Fibrillation Screening in a Primary Care Setting. Circulation. 2017 Jan 3;135(1):110-112.
- Chan PH, Wong CK*, Poh YC, Pun L, Leung WW, Wong YF, Wong MM, Poh MZ, Chu DW, Siu CW. Diagnostic Performance of a Smartphone-Based Photoplethysmographic Application for Atrial Fibrillation Screening in a Primary Care Setting. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Jul 21;5(7):e003428. (*Co-first author)
- Poh MZ, Poh YC, Chan PH, Wong CK, Pun L, Leung WW, Wong YF, Wong MM, Chu DW, Siu CW. Diagnostic assessment of a deep learning system for detecting atrial fibrillation in pulse waveforms. Heart. 2018 Dec;104(23):1921-1928.
- Wong CK, Un KC, Zhou M, Cheng Y, Lau YM, Shea PC, Yan BP, Li PWC, Yu DSF, Lui HW, Yue WS, Zuo ML, Yin LX, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Sin SWC, Yeung PPN, Hai J, Tam FCC, Siu CW. Daily Ambulatory Remote Monitoring System for Drug Escalation in Chronic Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction: Pilot Phase of DAVID-HF Study. EHJ Digital Health. 2022. (in-print)
- Wong CK, Luk HK, Lai WH, Lau YM, Zhang RR, Wong AC, Lo GC, Chan KH, Hung IF, Tse HF, Woo PC, Lau SK, Siu CW. Human-Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes Platform to Study SARS-CoV-2 Related Myocardial Injury. Circ J. 2020 Oct 23;84(11):2027-2031.
- Wong CK, Lau YM, Lai WH, Zhang RR, Luk HK, Wong AC, Woo PC, Lau SK, Chan KH, Hung IF, Siu CW. Angiotensin converting enzyme and sodium glucose cotransporter inhibitors alleviate inflammatory effects of SARS-CoV-2 in cardiomyocytes. Cardiol J. 2022 May 17.
- Chan KYE, Chan DTL, Lam CCS, Sze MSY, Un KC, Tam CCF, Lam YM, Wong CK*. First-in-Human Undermining Iatrogenic Coronary Obstruction With Radiofrequency Needle (UNICORN) Procedure During Valve-in-Valve Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2022 Oct 21:e012399. (*Co-corresponding author)
- Editorial Board, Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine
Awards and Prizes
- Li Shu Fan Medical Fellowship for Internal Medicine, Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation, Hong Kong