Dr. Danny Wong is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong. He received his B.Sc. in Biochemistry at The University of Manitoba and M.Sc. in Microbiology at The University of British Columbia. In 2004, he received his Ph.D. in Medicine at The University of Hong Kong and was awarded the Dr. KP Stephen Chang Gold Medal for the best PhD thesis. Since then he has begun his career in hepatitis B virus (HBV) research. He has published more than 140 peer-reviewed articles, and one book chapter in the book titled "Hepatitis B Virus" (2nd edition, International Medical Press).
His research focuses on various aspects of chronic hepatitis B disease, including HBV molecular virology, covalently closed circular DNA (cccDNA), antiviral treatment response, occult HBV infection, hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and evaluation of HBV disease markers. He is one of the pioneers in the research of the quantitative measurement of HBV cccDNA. He has profiled the HBV cccDNA levels during the natural history of chronic hepatitis B disease, as well as in patients receiving treatment and patients with HCC. Other research focuses include the quantitative measurement of HBV virological markers such as hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis B core-related antigen, as well as assessment of various fibrosis markers in chronic hepatitis B patients. He also studied the effect of HBV and cellular proteins on the transcription regulation of HBV.
Dr. Wong’s work has led to several academic awards, including The University of Hong Kong Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award in 2019, Best Abstract Award in Basic Science and Translational Research at the HKU 22nd Medical Research Conference in 2017, Young Investigator Award at The 25th Conference of the Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver in 2016, and the Presidential Poster of Distinction at the 58th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases in 2007.
- Wong DK, Seto WK, Fung J, Ip P, Huang FY, Lai CL, Yuen MF. Reduction of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen and Covalently Closed Circular DNA by Nucleos(t)ide Analogues of Different Potency. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 11:1004-1010 [impact factor: 6.64]
- Wong DK, Watanabe T, Tanaka Y, Seto WK, Lee CK, Fung J, Lin CK, Huang FY, Lai CL, Yuen MF. Role of HLA-DP polymorphisms on chronicity and disease activity of hepatitis B infection in Southern Chinese. PlosOne. 2013; 8:e66920 [impact factor: 3.73]
- Seto WK, Wong DK, Fung J, Huang FY, Lai CL, Yuen MF. Reduction of hepatitis B surface antigen levels and HBsAg seroclearance in chronic hepatitis B patients receiving 10 years of nucleoside analogue therapy. Hepatology. 2013; 58:923-31 [impact factor: 12]
- Seto WK, Wong DK, Kopaniszen M, Proitsi P, Sham PC, Hung IF, Fung J, Lai CL, Yuen MF. HLA-DP and IL28B Polymorphisms: Influence of Host Genome on Hepatitis B Surface Antigen Seroclearance in Chronic Hepatitis B. Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56:1695-1703. [impact factor: 9.37]
- Wong DK, Huang FY, Lai CL, Poon RT, Seto WK, Fung J, Hung IF, Yuen MF. Occult hepatitis B infection and HBV replicative activity in patients with cryptogenic cause of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2011; 54:829-36 [impact factor: 12]
- Yuen MF, Fung J, Wong DK, Lai CL. Prevention and management of drug resistance for antihepatitis B treatment. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009; 9:256-264. [impact factor: 19.96]
- Yuen MF, Wong DK, Fung J, Ip P, But D, Hung I, Lau K, Yuen JC, Lai CL. HBsAg Seroclearance in chronic hepatitis B in Asian patients: replicative level and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2008; 135:1192-1199. [impact factor: 12.82]
- Wong DK, Yuen MF, Ngai VWS, Fung J, Lai CL. One-year entecavir or lamivudine therapy results in reduction of HBV intrahepatic covalently closed circular DNA levels. Antivir Ther. 2006; 11:909-916. [impact factor: 3.07]
- Wong DK, Yuen MF, Poon RT, Yuen JC, Fung J, Lai CL. Quantitation of hepatitis B virus covalently closed circular DNA in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol. 2006; 45:553-559. [impact factor: 9.85]
- Wong DK, Yuen MF, Yuan HJ, Hui CK, Hall JG, Sum SSM, Lai CL. Quantitation of covalently closed circular hepatitis B virus DNA in chronic hepatitis B patients. Hepatology. 2004; 40:727-737. [impact factor: 12; citation: 54]
- Presidential Poster of Distinction, The 58th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2007)
- Dr. KP Stephen Chang Gold Medal for the best PhD thesis, Faculty of Medicine, HKU (2004)
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award and Travel Award, American Association and Asian Pacific Association for the study of the Liver Joint Research Workshop (2004)
- Mutational analysis of the hepatitis B core protein DNA-binding domain and its role in HBV transcription regulation," Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR Government (2013 – present)
- Hepatitis B X protein primary structure and epigenetic regulation of HBV replication," Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR Government (2014 - present)
- Member, Research Center of Infection and Immunity, The University of Hong Kong (2009 – present)
- Member, State Key Laboratory for Liver Research, The University of Hong Kong (2011 – present)
- Member, Editorial Board of World Journal of Hepatology (2013 – present)