Dr Yau graduated from the University of Hong Kong and started his medical oncology training initially at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. He was later employed as Specialist Registrar and Clinical Research Fellow at Royal Marsden Hospital, London. He also worked as a visiting faculty in Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Centre, Harvard Medical School, Boston in 2010. He was conferred the Doctor of Medicine from the University of Hong Kong in 2012.
His main research interests are gastrointestinal oncology, early phase clinical trials and translational research. He pioneered Hong Kong Liver Cancer classification and is one of the global pioneer in a drug development program in hepatocellular carcinoma. He had published more than 100 peer-review publications with articles in various leading oncology journals, namely Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell Stem Cell, Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Clinical Cancer Research. He had also delivered more than 150 invited regional and international lectures. He currently serves as associate editor and the editorial board members of many international peer-reviewed journals.
He is currently the Vice President of Asia Pacific Neuroendocrine Tumour Society, international Faculty Board Member of International Association of Surgeons Gastroenterologist and Oncologists, General Secretary of Hong Kong Liver Cancer Foundation, and member of many international professional societies.
He is also the council member of Hong Kong Sustainable Council and the advisor of various Hong Kong Government advisory committees.
- Treatment of Hepatobiliary Carcinoma
- Treatment of Gastric and Colon cancer
- Early Phase Clinical Trials
- Translational Research in Cancers
- Yau T, Epstein RJ Radiotherapy and tamoxifen in women with completely excised ductal carcinoma in situLancet. 2003 Oct 4; 362 (9390): 1154-5
- Yau T, Charles Swanton, Sue Chua, Ashley Sue, Geraldine Walsh, A Rostom, Stephen R Johnston, Mary ER O'Brien, Ian E Smith. Incidence, pattern and timing of brain metastases among patients with advanced breast cancer treated with trastuzumab, Acta Oncologica 2006; 4 5(2): 196-201
- Yau T, Chan P, Ng KK, Chok SH, Cheung TT, Fan ST, Poon RT. Phase II Open Label Study of Single Agent Sorafenib in Treating Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Hepatitis-B Endemic Asian Population: Presence of Lung Metastasis Predicts Poor Response. Cancer 2009 Jan 15; 115(2): 428-36
- Yau T, Yao TJ, Chan P,Ng KK, Fan ST, Poon RT. A New Prognostic Score System in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma not Amendable to Loco-regional Therapy: Implication for Patient Selection in Systemic Therapy Trials. Cancer 2008, Nov 15; 113(10):2742-51
- Yau T, Lo CY, Epstein RJ, Lam AKY, Wan KY, Liang Brian. Treatment Outcomes in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma: Survival Improvement in Young Patients With Localized Disease Treated by Combination of Surgery and Radiotherapy. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2008 Jun 26.
- Pang R, Law WL, Chu AC, Poon JT, Lam CS, Chow AK, Ng L, Cheung LW, Lan XR, 16.8 Lan H , Tan VP, Yau T, Poon RT ,Wong BC Identification of a Subset of Cancer Stem Cells Capable of Initiating Metastasis in Human Colorectal Cancer, Cell Stem Cell. 2010 Jun 4;6(6):603-615