Dr YIU Kai Hang
Clinical Associate Professor
Honorary Consultant, Queen Mary Hospital
Honorary Consultant, Grantham Hospital
Honorary Consultant, Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital
Deputy Chief of Service, Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital
Assistant Hospital Chief Executive, University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital
- MD (HK), PhD (Leiden), MBBS (HK), MRCP (UK), FHKCP, FHKAM, FRCP (Edin, Glasg)
His research interest is based on the advanced imaging technique in the cardiovascular system using novel echocardiography techniques and computed tomography. By using these imaging techniques, he was able to identify subclinical cardiovascular abnormalities that improves management of patients with or at risk of cardiovascular disease. Furthermore, he has established and led three important research study projects, namely the Chinese Valvular Heart Disease study (CVATS), the Chinese Diabetic Heart Disease Study (CDATS) and the Chinese Rheumatology Heart Disease Study (CRADS). He is the first and corresponding author of 3 original articles based on the CVATS of which one of them was published in Circulation and was awarded with the “Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator 2014: Hong Kong College of Physician”. He is the first and/or corresponding author of 6 original articles and 1 review article on CDATS. In addition, he is the first and/or corresponding author over 10 original articles and 1 review article on CRADS. Based on the ground work from these 3 important study consortiums, Dr. Yiu has secured 3 GRF grants and 1 HMRF grant, with a total of over 5 million HKD, in the past 5 years.
His clinical interest includes interventional cardiology (coronary and structural) and cardiac imaging. He is also leading the cardiology service in the HKUSZ hospital and currently the deputy COS of the Department of Medicine, HKUSZ hospital.
- Chen Y, Liu YX, Yu YJ, Wu MZ, Lam YM, Sit KY, Chan DT, Ho CK, Ho LM, Fang LG, Zhang SY, Lau CP, Au WK, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Prognostic Value of Tricuspid Valve Geometry and Leaflet Coaptation Status in Patients Undergoing Tricuspid Annuloplasty: A Three-Dimensional Echocardiography Study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2019 Sep 25.
- Chan YH, Ngai MC, Chen Y, Wu MZ, Yu YJ, Zhen Z, Lai K, Cheung T, Ho LM, Chung HY, Lau CS, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Cumulative Rheumatic Inflammation Modulates the Bone-Vascular Axis and Risk of Coronary Calcification. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Jun 4;8(11):e011540
- Wu MZ, Chen Y, Zou Y, Zhen Z, Yu YJ, Liu YX, Yuen M, Ho LM, Siu-Ling Lam K, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Impact of obesity on longitudinal changes to cardiac structure and function in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019 Jul 1;20(7):816-827
- Yiu KH, Wong A, Pu L, Chiang MF, Sit KY, Chan D, Lee HY, Lam YM, Chen Y, Siu CW, Lau CP, Au WK, Tse HF. Prognostic Value of Preoperative Right Ventricular Geometry and Tricuspid Valve Tethering Area in Patients Undergoing Tricuspid Annuloplasty. Circulation 2014;129:87-92.
- Ng AC, Yiu KH*, Ewe SH, van der Kley F, Bertini M, de Weger A, de Roos A, Leung DY, Schuijf JD, Schalij MJ, Bax JJ, Delgado V. Influence of left ventricular geometry and function on aortic annular dimensions as assessed with multi-detector row computed tomography: implications for transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:2806-13. * Co-first author
- Yiu KH, Tse HF, Mok MY, Lau CS. Ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk in rheumatic disease: focus on Asians. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011;7:609-18.
- Yiu KH, Schouffoer AA, Marsan NA, Ninaber MK, Stolk J, Vlieland TV, Scherptong RW, Delgado V, Holman ER, Tse HF, Huizinga TW, Bax JJ, Schuerwegh AJ. Left ventricular dysfunction assessed by speckle-tracking strain analysis in patients with systemic sclerosis: relationship to functional capacity and ventricular arrhythmias. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:3969-78.
- Yiu KH, Yeung CK, Zhao CT, Chan JC, Siu CW, Tam S, Wong CS, Yan GH, Yue WS, Khong PL, Chan HH, Tse HF. Prevalence and extent of subclinical atherosclerosis in patients with psoriasis. J Intern Med. 2013 ;273:273-82.
- Wang S, Yiu KH*, Mok MY, Ooi GC, Khong PL, Mak KF, Lau CP, Lam KF, Lau CS, Tse HF. Prevalence and extent of calcification over aorta, coronary and carotid arteries in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Intern Med. 2009 ;266:445-52. * Co-first author
- Yiu KH, Yeung CK, Chan HT, Wong RM, Tam S, Lam KF, Yan GH, Yue WS, Chan HH, Tse HF. Increased arterial stiffness in patients with psoriasis is associated with active systemic inflammation. Br J Dermatol. 2011;164:514-20.
- Yiu KH, Jim MH, Siu CW, Lee CH, Yuen M, Mok M, Shea YF, Fan K, Tse HF, Chow WH. Amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis is a predictor of adverse cardiovascular outcome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Jan;94:109-14.
- Yiu KH, de Graaf FR, Schuijf JD, van Werkhoven JM, Marsan NA, Veltman CE, de Roos A, Pazhenkottil A, Kroft LJ, Boersma E, Herzog B, Leung M, Maffei E, Leung DY, Kaufmann PA, Cademartiri F, Bax JJ, Jukema JW. Age- and gender-specific differences in the prognostic value of CT coronary angiography. Heart. 2012;98:232-7.
- Yiu KH, Siu CW, Lee KL, Fong YT, Chan HW, Lee SW, Lau CP, Tse HF. Emerging trends of community acquired infective endocarditis. Int J Cardiol. 2007;121:119-22
- 2010-2011 : Hong Kong Heart Foundation Scholarship, Hong Kong College of Cardiology
- 2010-2011 : Research Scholarship of Interuniversity Cardiology Institute of the Netherlands
- 2011 : Best Regional Abstract award in the International Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT meeting (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- 2014 : Supervisor of the Best Abstract Awards in Poster Presentation in Clinical Medicine (poster), 19th Medical Research Conference, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong Best Abstract in Clinical Medicine (Poster), Yan Chen Division of Cardiology, Assessment of Carotid Intima-media Thickness in Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis: Relationship with Disease Severity
- 2014 : Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator 2014: Hong Kong College of Physician.
- 2011 General Research Fund (GRF): Diabetic cardiomyopathy: role of aliskiren. (Amount: HK$960,000) accompanied by RGC clinical research fellowship (Amount: HK$2,400,000).
- 2013 General Research Fund (GRF):Vitamin K supplement to prevent for vascular calcification in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. (Amount: HK$670,000)
- 2015 General Research Fund (GRF):Role of Angiotensin Receptor Blocker to Decrease the Progression of Left Ventricular Remodeling in Patients with Asymptomatic Aortic Stenosis. (Amount: HK$560,000)
- 2015 Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF): Reversibility of liver stiffness after tricuspid annulopasty: A case-control study. (Amount: HK$964,216.00)
- 2017 Innovation and Technology Fund: Midstream Research Programme (ITF-MRP): Development of a novel cardiac imaging technique to detect silent brain infarction in the elderly to prevent subsequent vascular dementia. (Amount: HK$4,166,780.80)
- Deputy Chief of Service, Medicine, HKU-Shenzhen Hospital
- Honorary Consultant, Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
- Honorary Consultant, Cardiac Medical Unit, Grantham hospital, Hong Kong
- Honorary Consultant, Medicine, HKU-Shenzhen Hospital
- Editor, Hong Kong Medical Journal (2012-present)
- Editor, ISRN Stroke (2012-present)
- Editor, ISRN Hypertension (2012-present)