Prof YIU Kai Hang
Honorary Consultant, Queen Mary Hospital
Honorary Consultant, Grantham Hospital
Honorary Consultant, Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital
Division Chief, Cardiology Division, University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital
Assistant Hospital Chief Executive, University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital
- MBBS (HKU), MD (HKU), PhD (Leiden University), MRCP (UK), FHKCP, FHKAM, FRCP (Edin, Glasgow, Lond)
Prof. Yiu received his Bachelor (2001) and Doctor (2012) of Medicine degrees from the University of Hong Kong. He joined the University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2011 as a Clinical Assistant Professor in Cardiology, promoted to Clinical Associate Professor in 2015 and Clinical Professor in 2022. He has completed his PhD in 2016 at the Leiden University, the Netherlands on “Clinical application of cardiac imaging: echocardiography and computed tomography”. He has prolifically published over 190 peer-review original articles in international peer-review journals. Among these, he was either first or corresponding author in 70 of them; including over 40 articles with impact factors exceeding 5 (Maximum 30). In addition, Prof. Yiu was one of the first in Asia (2010, Lepzig Germany) to perform transcatheter aortic valvular implantation (TAVI) and had performed over 40 procedures during his overseas training.
Prof. Yiu’s research interest is based on Advanced Cardiovascular imaging and Big data analytics. By using various cardiovascular imaging techniques, he was able to identify subclinical cardiovascular abnormalities that improves management of patients with or at risk of cardiovascular disease. Furthermore, he has established and led three important research study projects, namely the Chinese Valvular Heart Disease study (CVATS), the Chinese Diabetic Heart Disease Study (CDATS) and the Chinese Rheumatology Heart Disease Study (CRADS). Using big data analytics, Prof. Yiu was able to evaluate epidemiology in common cardiovascular diseases as well as drug safety and efficacy. Prof. Yiu receives several key external competitive grants, including 3 GRF grants, 1 HMRF grant, ITF-midstream grant etc.. with a total of over 25 million HKD.
Prof. Yiu’s clinical interest includes interventional cardiology (coronary and structural) and advanced cardiac imaging (both invasive and non-invasive). He is also leading the cardiology service in the HKUSZ hospital and currently the deputy director of the Cardiac and Vascular centre, HKUSZ hospital. Under his leadership, the cardiology division was awarded the Key Development Specialty Award by the Shenzhen Municipal Health Commission in 2020 – 重點培育學科. He is the recipient of the 23rd Australian Council on Healthcare Standards Quality Improvement Global Award, the only institute in Asia to be so recognised.
- Ren QW, Yu SY, Teng TH, Li X, Cheung KS, Wu MZ, Li HL, Wong PF, Tse HF, Lam CSP, Yiu KH. Statin use is associated with lower cancer risk and related mortality in patients with heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2021 Jun 22; ehab325.
- Chen Y, Liu YX, Yu YJ, Wu MZ, Lam YM, Sit KY, Chan DT, Ho CK, Ho LM, Fang LG, Zhang SY, Lau CP, Au WK, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Prognostic Value of Tricuspid Valve Geometry and Leaflet Coaptation Status in Patients Undergoing Tricuspid Annuloplasty: A Three-Dimensional Echocardiography Study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2019 Sep 25.
- Chan YH, Ngai MC, Chen Y, Wu MZ, Yu YJ, Zhen Z, Lai K, Cheung T, Ho LM, Chung HY, Lau CS, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Cumulative Rheumatic Inflammation Modulates the Bone-Vascular Axis and Risk of Coronary Calcification. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Jun 4;8(11):e011540
- Wu MZ, Chen Y, Zou Y, Zhen Z, Yu YJ, Liu YX, Yuen M, Ho LM, Siu-Ling Lam K, Tse HF, Yiu KH. Impact of obesity on longitudinal changes to cardiac structure and function in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019 Jul 1;20(7):816-827
- Yiu KH, Wong A, Pu L, Chiang MF, Sit KY, Chan D, Lee HY, Lam YM, Chen Y, Siu CW, Lau CP, Au WK, Tse HF. Prognostic Value of Preoperative Right Ventricular Geometry and Tricuspid Valve Tethering Area in Patients Undergoing Tricuspid Annuloplasty. Circulation 2014;129:87-92.
- Ng AC, Yiu KH*, Ewe SH, van der Kley F, Bertini M, de Weger A, de Roos A, Leung DY, Schuijf JD, Schalij MJ, Bax JJ, Delgado V. Influence of left ventricular geometry and function on aortic annular dimensions as assessed with multi-detector row computed tomography: implications for transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:2806-13. * Co-first author
- Yiu KH, Tse HF, Mok MY, Lau CS. Ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk in rheumatic disease: focus on Asians. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011;7:609-18.
- Yiu KH, Schouffoer AA, Marsan NA, Ninaber MK, Stolk J, Vlieland TV, Scherptong RW, Delgado V, Holman ER, Tse HF, Huizinga TW, Bax JJ, Schuerwegh AJ. Left ventricular dysfunction assessed by speckle-tracking strain analysis in patients with systemic sclerosis: relationship to functional capacity and ventricular arrhythmias. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:3969-78.
- Yiu KH, Yeung CK, Zhao CT, Chan JC, Siu CW, Tam S, Wong CS, Yan GH, Yue WS, Khong PL, Chan HH, Tse HF. Prevalence and extent of subclinical atherosclerosis in patients with psoriasis. J Intern Med. 2013 ;273:273-82.
- Wang S, Yiu KH*, Mok MY, Ooi GC, Khong PL, Mak KF, Lau CP, Lam KF, Lau CS, Tse HF. Prevalence and extent of calcification over aorta, coronary and carotid arteries in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Intern Med. 2009 ;266:445-52. * Co-first author
- Yiu KH, Yeung CK, Chan HT, Wong RM, Tam S, Lam KF, Yan GH, Yue WS, Chan HH, Tse HF. Increased arterial stiffness in patients with psoriasis is associated with active systemic inflammation. Br J Dermatol. 2011;164:514-20.
- Yiu KH, Jim MH, Siu CW, Lee CH, Yuen M, Mok M, Shea YF, Fan K, Tse HF, Chow WH. Amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis is a predictor of adverse cardiovascular outcome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Jan;94:109-14.
- Yiu KH, de Graaf FR, Schuijf JD, van Werkhoven JM, Marsan NA, Veltman CE, de Roos A, Pazhenkottil A, Kroft LJ, Boersma E, Herzog B, Leung M, Maffei E, Leung DY, Kaufmann PA, Cademartiri F, Bax JJ, Jukema JW. Age- and gender-specific differences in the prognostic value of CT coronary angiography. Heart. 2012;98:232-7.
- Yiu KH, Siu CW, Lee KL, Fong YT, Chan HW, Lee SW, Lau CP, Tse HF. Emerging trends of community acquired infective endocarditis. Int J Cardiol. 2007;121:119-22
- 2010-2011 : Hong Kong Heart Foundation Scholarship, Hong Kong College of Cardiology
- 2010-2011 : Research Scholarship of Interuniversity Cardiology Institute of the Netherlands
- 2011 : Best Regional Abstract award in the International Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT meeting (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- 2011 – 2015: RGC Clinical Research Fellowship, Research Grant Council, Hong Kong
- 2014 : Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator 2014: Hong Kong College of Physician.
- 2015: First Prize of Science and Technology Awards of Sichuan Province: Ultrasonic visualization research of ischemic heart disease mechanism and relative clinical intervention in collaboration with North Sichuan Hospital
- 2017: The Richard Yu Lecture 2017: “Cardiovascular manifestation in systemic inflammatory disorders” Hong Kong College of Physicians
- 2018: Distinguished Young Fellow, Hong Kong College of Physicians
- 2018: Elite Young Medical Leaders of Guangdong Province, Health Commission of Guangdong Province, China
- 2019: 2nd Best Abstract Award: “Prognostic value of tricuspid valve geometry and leaflet coaptation status in patients undergoing tricuspid annuloplasty: a three-dimensional echocardiography study” PCR Tokyo Valves 2019
- 2020: Winner – Global Quality Improvement category of 23rd Annual Quality Improvement (QI) Awards 2020: “Reduction of Door to Wire time for patients with ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction to improve clinical outcomes” The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS)
General Research Fund (GRF): Mechanism and Reversibility of Myocardial Fibrosis in Patients with Diabetic Cardiomyopathy: Role of Aliskiren (Amount: HK$950,000) accompanied by RGC clinical research fellowship (Amount: HK$2,400,000)
General Research Fund (GRF): Relationship between matrix G1a protein and osteogenic endothelial progenitor cells with vascular and valvular calcification in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Potential therapeutic role of vitamin K (Amount: HK$649,524)
General Research Fund (GRF): Role of Angiotensin Receptor Blocker to Decrease the Progression of Left Ventricular Remodelling in Patients with Asymptomatic Aortic Stenosis (Amount: HK$554,700)
Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF): Reversibility of liver stiffness after tricuspid annuloplasty: A case-control study (Amount: HK$964,216)
Innovation and Technology Fund: Midstream Research Programme (ITF-MRP): Development of a novel cardiac imaging technique to detect silent brain infarction in the elderly to prevent subsequent vascular dementia.
Summing Grant of the Shenzhen Health Ministry, China (SZSM201911020): Precision cardiovascular imaging by cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Amount: RMB$15,000,000)
Shenzhen Key Medical Discipline (No.SZXK2020081) by the Shenzhen Health Ministry (Amount: RMB 3,500,000)
- Consultant, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital (2012 – Present)
- Chief, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital (2012 – Present)
- Honorary Consultant, Cardiology, The Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital (2013 – Present)
- Honorary Consultant,Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong (2015 – Present)
- Honorary Consultant, Department of Medicine, Grantham hospital, Hong Kong (2015 – Present)
- Honorary Consultant, Department of Medicine, Tung Wah Hospital, Hong Kong (2015 – Present)
- Deputy Chief of Service, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital (2016 – 2017, 2020 – Present)
- Assistant Hospital Chief Executive, Teaching and Education, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital (2017 – Present)
- Director, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (2017 – Present)
- Member of the Subcommittee, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Hong Kong College of Physicians (2019 – 2021)