Prof James Chim (詹楚生) is the SH Ho Professor in Haematology & Oncology at the University of Hong Kong, and also an Honorary Consultant to the Department of Medicine at Queen Mary Hospital.
Professor Chim has been awarded Fellowships of both the Royal Colleges of Physicians and Royal Colleges of Pathologists in the United Kingdom. He was awarded the National Scientific and Technological Advancement Award「國家科學技術進步獎」in 2009. He was also a Founding Fellow of the Faculty of Science of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australia, & the Academy of Translational Medicine of the European Society for Translational Medicine (EUSTM).
Clinically, Prof Chim is an international myeloma expert. He is a member of the International Myeloma Working Group (IMWG), Executive Council Member of Asian Myeloma Network (AMN), invited founding member of International Academy of Clinical Hematology (IACH), invited member of the Global Committee of the European Society for Blood & Marrow Transplantation (EBMT), and Research Advisor of the Nan Yang Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Singapore. Locally, he has established the Hong Kong Society of Myeloma (HKSOM) 「香港骨髓瘤學會」, and is the Founding & current Chairman of HKSOM. He has served to formulate treatment protocols and organized clinical trials for myeloma patients in Hong Kong. Indeed, he has published & presented the clinical outcomes of myeloma patients in Hong Kong in international journals & meetings. Last but not the least, Prof Chim has spearheaded the establishment of the myeloma patient group, the “Hong Kong Myeloma Care & Share” 「香港骨髓瘤關愛聯盟」. Indeed, the first patient gathering in Oct, 2015 has been published in “Myeloma Today”, a periodical of the International Myeloma Foundation, in Sep 2016, and the number of attendants expanded from ~60 in the first to ~200 in the last gathering in Oct 2019.
Moreover, Prof Chim is a clinician scientist interested in the study of DNA methylation of tumour suppressor genes and non-coding RNAs (micro-RNAs & long noncoding RNAs) in blood cancers including multiple myeloma, lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. So far, he has published >65 articles (out of 265 publications) in the field of DNA methylation in blood cancers. Indeed, his research on “Epigenetic alterations in acute leukaemia” was awarded the prestigious State Scientific and Technological Advancement Award in China in 2009. Moreover, based on his original work in DNA methylation in blood cancer, he was awarded honorary fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologist of UK. He is also an invited member of Clinical Epigenetics Society (CLEPSO) and Cancer Epigenetics Society (CES). In this connection, he is also the associate editor of Epigenomics & Clinical Epigenetics.
Professor Chim has published extensively with an H index of 46 (as of Nov 2020). He has authored >260 publications, being major & corresponding in the majority, in international peer reviewed journals. He is also the Associate Editor of Epigenomics, Frontiers in Hematology & Hematology, & Senior/Scientific Editor of the American Journal of Translational Research & Translational Oncology. Further, Professor Chim also sits on the Editorial Board of many journals including Clinical Epigenetics, Blood Cancer Journal, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Scientific Reports, Blood Reviews & Journal of Translational Medicine.
Besides, Prof Chim has reviewed for American Society of Hematology (ASH) & a regular reviewer for the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT). Moreover, he has been invited to for prestigious grant funding organizations including Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, Leukemia Research (United Kingdom), Cancer Research (United Kingdom), ITMO Cancer of the French National Alliance for Life and Health Sciences (AVIESAN), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star) of Singapore, & Association for International Cancer Research (AICR), U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF), the Icelandic Research Fund (IRF), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) & Czech Science Foundation.
In addition to his wide international recognition, Professor Chim is also widely known in mainland China. He is currently the honorary/visiting Professors of many universities in China including Peking University People’s Hospital, Chinese PLA Postgraduate Medical School & PLA General Hospital of Beijing, Sichuan University, Soochow University, Tongji Medical University of Wuhan.
- Wang LQ, Kumar S, Calin GA, Li Z, Chim CS. Frequent methylation of the tumour suppressor miR-1258 targeting PDL1: implication in multiple myeloma-specific cytotoxicity and prognostification. Br J Haematol, 2020 Feb 20. doi: 10.1111/bjh.16517. (IF: 5.206)
- Qiumei Yao, Yinlei Bai, Alberto Orfao, Shaji Kumar, Chor Sang Chim. Upgraded standardized minimal residual disease detection by next generation sequencing in multiple myeloma The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, 2020 Mar 6. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2020.02.005. (IF:4.426)
- Zhenhai LI; Kwan Yeung WONG; George A. CALIN; Wee-Joo CHNG; Godfrey Chi-fung CHAN; CS Chim. Epigenetic Silencing of miR-340-5p in Multiple Myeloma: Mechanisms and Prognostic Impact. Clin Epigenetics, 2019 May 7;11(1):71. (IF: 5.496)
- Qiumei Yao, Yinlei Bai, Alberto Orfao, Chor Sang Chim. Standardized Minimal Residual Disease Detection by Next Generation Sequencing in Multiple myeloma. Frontiers in Oncology, 2019 Jun 6; 9:449. (IF: 4.137)
- Yao Q, Morgan GJ, Chim CS. Distinct promoter methylation profile reveals spatial epigenetic heterogeneity in 2 myeloma patients with multifocal extramedullary relapses. Clin Epigenetics, 2018 Dec 20;10(1): 158. (IF: 5.496)
- Chim CS, Kumar S, Orlowski R, Cook G, Richardson PG, Gertz M, Giralt S, Marivi Mateos, Leleu X, Anderson KC. Management of relapsed & refractory multiple myeloma – novel agents, antibodies, immunotherapies and beyond. Leukemia, 2018 Feb; 32(2):252-262. (Invited review)(IF: 9.944)
- Yinlei Bai, Alberto Orfao, Chor Sang Chim. Molecular Detection of Minimal Residual Disease in Multiple Myeloma. Br J of Haematol, 2018 Apr; 181(1):11-26 (Invited review) (IF: 5.206)
- Chim CS. LDH as a prognostic marker in AL amyloidosis: expected or unexpected? (Invited editorial) Br J Haematol, 2017 Sep; 178(6):833-835. (IF: 5.206)
- Yinlei Bai, KY Wong, TK Fung, CS Chim. High applicability of ASO-RQPCR for detection of minimal residual disease in multiple myeloma by entirely patient-specific primers/probes. J Hematol Oncol, 2016; 9:107. (IF: 8.731)
- Meletios Athanasios Dimopoulos, Jens Hillengass, Saad Usmani, Elena Zamagni, Suzanne Lentzsch, Faith Davies, Noopur Raje, Orhan Sezer, Sonja Zweegman, Jatin Shah, Ashraf Badros, Kazuyuki Shimizu, Philippe Moreau, Chor-Sang Chim, Juan Jose Lahuerta, Jian Hou, Artur Jurczyszyn, Hartmut Goldschmidt, Pieter Sonneveld, Antonio Palumbo, Heinz Ludwig, Michele Cavo, Bart Barlogie, Kenneth C Anderson, G David Roodman, S. Vincent Rajkumar, Brian Durie, and Evangelos Terpos. The Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Management of Patients with Multiple Myeloma: a Consensus Statement on behalf of the International Myeloma Working Group. J Clin Oncol, 2015 Feb 20; 33(6):657-64. (IF: 28.349)
- Chng WJ, Dispenzieri A, Chim CS, Fonseca R, Goldschmidt H, Lentzsch S, Munshi N, Palumbo A, Miguel JS, Sonneveld P, Cavo M, Usmani S, Durie BG, Avet-Loiseau H. IMWG consensus on risk stratification in multiple myeloma. Leukemia, 2014; 28: 269-77.(IF: 9.944)
- Chi-lai Ho, S Chen, YL Leung, T Cheng, Ka-nin Wong, SK Cheung, R Liang, C S Chim. 11C-Acetate for Metabolic Characterization of Multiple Myeloma – A Comparative PET/CT Study with 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose PET/CT. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2014 May;55(5):749-52 (IF: 7.308)
- Wong KY, Yim RL, Kwong YL, Leung CY, Hui PK, Cheung F, Liang R, Jin DY, Chim CS. Epigenetic inactivation of the MIR129-2 in hematological malignancies. J Hematol Oncol, 2013; 6:16. (IF: 8.731)
- Wang LQ, Kwong YL, Kho CS, Wong KF, Wong KY, Ferracin M, Calin GA, Chim CS. Epigenetic inactivation of miR-9 family microRNAs in chronic lymphocytic leukemia--implications on constitutive activation of NFκB pathway. Mol Cancer, 2013; 12:173. (IF: 10.679)
- Yim RL, Kwong YL, Wong KY, Chim CS. DNA Methylation of Tumor Suppressive miRNAs in Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas. Frontiers in Genetics. 2012 Nov 8; 3:233. (IF:3.517)
- Wong KY, Huang X, Chim CS. DNA methylation of microRNA genes in multiple myeloma. Carcinogenesis. 2012 Sep; 33(9):1629-38. (IF: 4.004)
- Chim CS, Lie AK, Chan EY, Liu HS, Lau CW, Yip SF, Sim J, Wan TS, Ma ES, Liang R, Tse E, Kwong YL; Hong Kong Society of Myeloma. Treatment outcome and prognostic factor analysis in transplant-eligible Chinese myeloma patients receiving bortezomib-based induction regimens including the staged approach, PAD or VTD. J Hematol Oncol, 2012;5:28. (IF: 8.731)
- Wong KY, Yu L, Chim CS. DNA methylation of tumor suppressor miRNA genes: a lesson from the miR-34 family. Epigenomics. 2011 Feb; 3(1):83-92. (IF: 4.404)
- KY Wong, Rita LH Yim, CC So, DY Jin, Raymond Liang, Chim CS. Epigenetic inactivation of the MIR34B/C in multiple myeloma. Blood, 2011; 118:5901-5904 (IF: 16.601).
- Kwan-Yeung Wong, Raymond Liang, Chi-Chiu So, Yanting Qi, Dong-Yan Jin, Joseph F. Costello, Chim CS. Epigenetic silencing of miR-203 in multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol, 2011 Sep; 154(5): 569-78. (IF: 5.206)
- Chim CS, KY Wong, Y Qi, Loong F, WL Lam, LG Wong, Jin DY, Costello JF, Liang R. Epigenetic inactivation of the miR-34a in hematological malignancies. Carcinogenesis, 2010; 31(4):745-50 (IF: 4.004).
- Chim CS, Pang R, Fung TK, Choi CL, Liang R. Epigenetic Dysregulation of Wnt Signaling Pathway in Multiple Myeloma. Leukemia, 2007; 21(12): 2527-36. (IF: 9.944)
- Chim CS, Wong SY, Pang A, Chu P, Lau JS, Wong KF, Kwong YL. Aberrant promoter methylation of the retinoic acid receptor alpha gene in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Leukemia, 2005; 19(12): 2241-6 (IF: 9.944).
- Chim CS, Kwong YL, Lie AK, Ma SK, Chan CC, Wong LG, Kho BC, Lee HK, Sim JP, Chan CH, Chan JC, Yeung YM, Law M, Liang R. Long-term outcome of 231 patients with Essential Thrombocythemia: Prognostic factors for bleeding, thrombosis, myelofibrosis and leukaemia. JAMA Internal Medicine (previously Archives Int Med), 2005; 165: 2651-2658. (IF:20.768)
- Chim CS, Ma SY, Au WY, Choy C, Lie AK, Liang R, Yau CC, Kwong YL. Primary nasal natural killer cell lymphoma: long-term treatment outcome and relationship with the International Prognostic Index. Blood 2004, 103: 216-221 (IF: 16.601).
- Chim CS, Fung TK, Cheung WC, Liang R, Kwong YL. SOCS1 and SHP1 Hypermethylation in Multiple Myeloma: Implications for Epigenetic Activation of the Jak/STAT pathway. Blood, 2004; 103: 4630-4635. (IF: 16.601)
- Chim CS, Liang R, Tam CY, Kwong YL. Methylation of p15 and p16 genes in acute promyelocytic leukemia: potential diagnostic and prognostic significance. J Clin Oncol, 19: 2033-2040, 2001. (IF: 28.349)
|Research Title||Role||Grant Source||Date of Grant|
|Identification of methylated microRNAs in acute promyelocytic leukaemia & their potential clinical application||PI||HMRF (HKD996,808)||2016-2018|
|Mechanism study of the effect of microenvironment on RANKL expression in myeloma cells||PI||NSFC (CNY75.0000)||2016-2018|
|Study of methylation of microRNA in mantle cell lymphoma||PI||RGC (HKD800,000)||2012-2014|
|Functional study of the impact of hypermethylation of tumor suppressive mico-RNA in myeloma stem cells||PI||RGC (HKD944,700)||2010-2012|
- Honorary Consultant, Queen Mary Hospital
- Member, Licentiate Committee Internship, The Medical Council of Hong Kong (since 2015)
- Scientific Member, Institutional Review Board, The University of Hong Kong / Hospital Authority Hong Kong West Cluster (since 2013)
- Member: International Myeloma Working Group, IMWG
- Founding & Current Chairman, the Hong Kong Society of Myeloma
- Chairman, the Hong Kong Society of Myeloma, 2010-now
- Chairman, Education Program, Asia Pacific Hematology Consortium (APHCON) (since 2012)
- Haematology & Haematological Oncology : Board Member (1999-2015) & Examiner (2006-now)
- Program Director: Specialty Board in Haematology and Haematological Oncology, Hong Kong College of Physicians (2010-2015)
- Member, Pharmacy and Poisons Board Hong Kong - Pharmacy and Poisons Committee, Department of Health (Jan 2016- Dec 2017)
- Member, Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) Grant Review Board, organized by Food and Health Bureau, The Government of HKSAR (Nov, 2013 – Oct, 2017)
- Consultant of the American College of Physicians: Physicians' Information and Education Resources (PIER) (Jan 2008-Dec 2011)
- Chairman of the HK Society of Haematology (2004-2006)
- State Scientific and Technological Advancement Award, China 2009 (國家科學技術進步獎 (二等獎 )
- The Croucher Foundation Fellowship in 1992.
Editorial Board Memberships
- Journal of Genetics Study
- RNA & Disease
- Associate Editor
- Clinical Epigenetics (IF: 4.327)
- Epigenomics (impact factor: 4.044)
- Frontiers in Oncology
- Hematology (IF: 1.385)
- Editorial Board Members
- Carcinogenesis (impact factor : 4.874) (Jan 2009-Dec 2011)
- Journal of Hematology Oncology (impact factor: 6.232)
- Blood Cancer Journal (impact factor: 4.411)
- Journal of Translational Medicine (impact factor: 3.694)
- Bone Marrow Transplantation (impact factor :3.636)
- American Journal of Translational Research (IF: 3.146)
- Translational Oncology (impact factor: 3.077)
- PLoS ONE (impact factor : 3.057)
- International Journal of Oncology (impact factor: 3.018)
- Current Oncology Reports (impact factor: 2.653)
Leadership Position of International Organizations
- Member: International Myeloma Working Group (IMWG)
- Executive Council Member: Asia Myeloma Network (AMN)
- Founding member of International Academy of Clinical Hematology (IACH)
- Invited member, Global Committee of the European Society for Blood & Marrow Transplantation (EBMT)
- Chairman: Education Program, Asia Pacific Hematology Consortium (APHCON)
- Invited member, Clinical Epigenetics Society (CLEPSO)
- Invited member, Cancer Epigenetics Society (CES)
- Invited member, Chinese American Hematologists and Oncologists (CAHON)
Visiting / Honorary Professors
- Peking University People's Hospital (北京大學人民醫院) (2012-now)
- Chinese PLA Postgraduate Medical School & PLA General Hospital (北京中國人民解放軍總醫院) (PLA) (2010-now)
- Soochow University, Suzhou, China (蘇州大學)(2013-now)
- Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China (武漢華中科技大學) (2009-now)
- Visiting Professor: West China Hospital, Sichuan University (四川大学华西医院) (Jul 2015- 2017)
- Capital Medical University, Beijing (首都醫科大學) (2011-now)
- Shandong University (山東大學) (2011-2014)
- Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China (中山大學) (2010-2012)
- Sun Yat-Sen Institute of Hematology (中山大學血液學研究所) (2010-2012)
- Nanfong Medical University, Quangzhou (南方醫科大學) (2008-2011)
- Chair Professor: Sun Yat-Sen Institute of Hematology (中山大学血液學研究所) (2010-2012)