Professor Mary Ip's main research interest is sleep related breathing disorders, with a focus on vascular and metabolic consequences of obstructive sleep apnea. Her clinical and translational research embrace a spectrum from epidemiology to patient management. Her work in the late 1990s identified the prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome of 4% and 2% in middle-aged Chinese men and women in Hong Kong respectively, which was comparable to that reported in Caucasian populations at that time. Since then, research focussed on OSA and cardiometabolic disorders and the pathogenetic mechanisms, including the roles of obesity and craniofacial factors, adipokines, insulin resistance, endothelial function. In parallel, basic research deploying the intermittent hypoxia models in animal (rats and mice) and cell cultures (endothelial cells, adipocytes, and others) were used to investigate the potential cellular and molecular pathways in the regulation of metabolic or cardiovascular functionsProfessor Ip has led the studies for establishing update lung function reference values for children and adults in Hong Kong. Her other clinical research include airways diseases, respiratory infections, and lung cancer.
- Han KQ, Yeung SC, Ip MSM, Mak JCW. Intermittent hypoxia-induced NFkB and HO-1 regulation in human endothelial EA.hy926 cells. Cell Biochemistry & Biophysics. 2013; 66(3): 431-441.
- Lai AYK, Fong DYT, Lam JCM, Weaver T, Ip MSM. Linguistic and psychometric validation of the Chinese version of the Self-Efficacy Measures for Sleep Apnea. Sleep Medicine 2013; 14(11): 1192-1198.
- Lam JCM, Lam B, Yao TJ, Lai AYK, Ooi CG, Tam S, Lam KSL, Ip MSM. A randomized controlled trial of nCPAP on insulin sensitivity in obstructive sleep apnea. European Respiratory Journal 2010; 35(1): 138-145.
- Lam DC, Lui MM, Lam JC, Ong LH, Lam KS, Ip MSM. Prevalence and recognition of obstructive sleep apnea in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Chest 2010; 138: 1101-1107.
- Lui MMS, Lam JCM, Mak H, Xu A, Ooi C, Lam DCL, Mak J, Khong PL, Ip MSM. C-reactive protein is associated with obstructive sleep apnea independent of visceral obesity. Chest 2009; 135: 950-956.
- Lam DCL, Xu A, Lam KSL, Lam B, Lam JCM, Lui MMS, Ip MSM. Serum adipocyte-fatty acid binding protein (A-FABP) level is elevated in severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and correlates with insulin resistance. European Respiratory Journal 2009; 33(2): 346-351.
- Lam JCM, Xu A, Tam S, Khong PL, Yao TJ, Lam DCL, Lai AYK, Lam B, Lam KSL, Ip MSM. Hypoadiponectinemia is related to sympathetic activation and severity of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep 2008; 31: 1721-1727.
- Lam B, Sam K, Mok WYW, Cheung MT, Fong DY, Lam J, Lam DC, Yam L, Ip MSM. Randomised study of three non-surgical treatments in mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnoea. Thorax 2007; 62; 354-359.
- Ip MSM, Ko KW, Lau CW, Yu WC, Choo K, Tang KS, Chan-Yeung M. Update reference values of spirometry for adult Chinese in Hong Kong and implications on clinical utilization. Chest 2006; 129: 384-392.
- Ip MSM, Tse HF, Lam B, Tsang KWT, Lam WK. Endothelial function in obstructive sleep apnea and response to treatment. American Journal of Respiratory and critical Care Medicine 2004; 169: 348-353.
- Ip MSM, Lam B, Ng MMT, Lam WK, Tsang KWT, Lam KSL. Obstructive sleep apnoea is independently associated with insulin resistance. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2002; 165: 670-676.
- Ip MSM, Lam B, Lauder I, Tsang K, Chung KF, Mok W, Lam WK. A community study of sleep disordered breathing in middle-aged Chinese men in Hong Kong. Chest 2001; 119: 62-69.
- Harasawa Award for Research Excellence, Asia Pacific Society of Respirology (2010)
- Asia Pacific Society of Respirology Medal, 2013
- Chief of Division of Respiratory & Critical Care medicine, Department of Medicine
- Head of Departmet (2016-2019)
- Immediate Past President, Asian Pacific Society of Respirology (2010-2012)
- Associate Dean, LKS Faculty of Medicine, (Education and Student Affairs, 2000-2008; Education, 2008- 2013; and Faculty Admissions Tutor (2000 - 2007)
- Member, Research Council, Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR
- Founding Director, Institute of Medical and Health Sciences Education (IMHSE), LKS Faculty of Medicine (2004-2010)
- Associate Editor, CHEST (2005-2013)
- Member of Editorial Board - Sleep Medicine; Journal of Thoracic Disease; Sleep and Biological Rhythms