> University Academic Staffback
Prof TAN Choon Beng, Kathryn
Sir David Todd Professor in Medicine
MBBCH, MD(Wales), FRCP(Edin), FRCP(Lond), FHKCP, FHKAM(Medicine)
Professor Tan's research is in the field of lipidology and vascular biology. Another major research interest is in diabetes and its vascular complications. Along with her research team, she has focused on studying the pathophysiological role of post-translational modification derived products, such as advanced glycation end products, in the aging process and in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and diabetic vascular complications. She is developing the use of these post-translational modification derived products as potential biomarkers and therapeutic targets.
- Lipoprotein metabolism and reverse cholesterol transport
- Genetics of lipid disorders
- Advanced glycation end products and diabetic complications
- Post-translational modification of proteins, endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis
- Shiu SWM, Xiao SM, Wong Y, Chow WS, Lam KS, Tan KC. Carbamylation of LDL and its relationship with myeloperoxidase in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clin Sci 2014;126:175-181
- Colhoun HM, Betteridge DJ, Durrington P, Hitman G, Neil A, Livingstone S, Charlton-Menys V, Bao W, DeMicco DA, Preston GM, Tan K, Fuller JH. Total soluble and endogenous secretory receptor for advanced glyation endproducts as predictive biomarkers of Coronary Heart Disease risk in patients with type 2 diabetes; an analysis from the CARDS trial. Diabetes, 2011;60:2379-85.
- Tam HL, Shiu SWM, Leng L, Bucala R, Betteridge DJ, Tan KC. Enhanced expression of receptor for advanced glycation end products is associated with low circulating soluble isoforms of the receptor in type 2 diabetes. Clin Sci 2011;120:81-89.
- Tam HL, Shiu SWM, Wong Y, Chow WS, Betteridge DJ, Tan KC. Effects of atorvastatin on serum soluble receptors for advanced glycation end-products in type 2 diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2010;209:173-177.
- Shiu SWM, Tan KC, Wong Y, Leng L, Bucala R. Glycoxidized LDL increases lectin-like oxidized low density lipoprotein receptor-1 in diabetes mellitus. Atherosclerosis, 2009;203:522-52.
- Tan KC. Reverse cholesterol transport in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes, Obes Metab 2009;11:534-43.
- Tan KC, Shiu SWM, Wong Y, Leng L, Bucala R. Soluble lectin-like oxidized low density lipoprotein receptor-1 in type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Lipid Res 2008;49:1438-1444.
- Tan KC, Chow WS, Tso AWK, Xu A, Tse HF, Hoo RLC, Betteridge DJ, Lam KS. Thiazolidinedione increases serum soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2007;50:1819-1825.
- Tan KC, Shiu SWM, Chow WS, Leng L, Bucala R, Betteridge DJ. Association between serum level of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products and circulating advanced glycation end products in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2006;49:2756-2762.
- Tan KC, Chow WS, Lam JCM, Lam B, Bucala R, Betteridge DJ, Ip MSM. Advanced glycation end products in non-diabetic patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep 2006;29:329-33
- Deputy Chief of Service, Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital
- Deputy Director of the Diabetes Centre, Queen Mary Hospital
- Director of the Osteoporosis Centre, Queen Mary Hospital
- Deputy Chairman, Institutional Review Board of the University of Hong Kong/ Hospital Authority Hong Kong West Cluster (HKU/HA HKW IRB).
- President of the Hong Kong Society of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Reproduction 2009-2011
- Founding executive board member of the Asian Association for the Study of Diabetes 2009-2012