> University Academic Staffback
Dr CHAN Sau-Fong, Vera
- C-type lectin receptors immunobiology: its role in autoimmune diseases and infection
- cellular immuno-dysregulation in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- development of humanized-mouse models for autoimmune diseases pathogenesis study
- immuno-therapeutics development
|A. L-SIGN (red) expressing cell internalizes E.coli (green); B. Dendritic cell internalizes SARS coronaviruses (red arrow)|
Another research direction of my laboratory focuses on the development of therapeutics in cancer and autoimmune diseases. Previously, together with collaborators in the Chemistry Department at HKU, we tested various novel anti- nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) agents and found that gold (III) porphyrins complex was superior to cisplatin in suppressing NPC growth in an animal model (Int J Cancer 2008, 124:1971-1979). This finding reveals a promising chemotherapeutic agent that deserves further development for the treatment of advanced NPC, in particular, for cases with cisplatin-resistance. In other joint explorations to harness EBV-specific T cell responses for NPC immunotherapeutics development, we also developed several novel anti-EBV DNA vaccines, and a peptide vaccine with multiple antigenic peptide (MAP)-epitope that induce better EBV-specific T cell responses in vitro (Bioconjugate Chem 2008, 20:24–31). My laboratory is currently developing a humanized mouse model using the immunodeficient NOD-SCID-IL2RGamma chain (NSG) mutant mice, aiming to create a better pre-clinical model for studying SLE pathogenesis and for testing the in vivo effectiveness of novel vaccines and treatment modalities.
- Chan VS, Tsang HH, Tam RC, Lu L, Lau CS. B-cell-targeted therapies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Cell Mol Immunol. 2013 10:133-42.
- Chen Y, Hwang SL, Chan VS, Chung NP, Wang SR, Li Z, Ma J, Lin CW, Hsieh YJ, Chang KP, Kung SS, Wu YC, Chu CW, Tai HT, Gao GF, Zheng B, Yokoyama KK, Austyn JM, Lin CL. Binding of HIV-1 gp120 to DC-SIGN promotes ASK-1-dependent activation-induced apoptosis of human dendritic cells. PLoS Pathog, 2013, 9(1):e1003100.
- Chan VS, Nie YJ, Shen N, Yan S, Mok MY, and Lau CS. Distinct roles of myeloid and plasmacytoid dendritic cells in systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmun Rev, 2012, 11: 890-7.
- Dejnirattisai W, Webb AI, Chan VS, Jumnainsong A, Davidson A, Mongkolsapaya J, and Screaton G. Lectin Switching During Dengue Virus Infection. J Infect Dis, 2011, 203: 1775-1783.
- To YF, Sun RW, Chen Y, Chan VS*, Yu WY, Tam PK, Che CM, and Lin CL. Gold(III) porphyrin complex is more potent than cisplatin in inhibiting growth of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Int J Cancer 2008, 124:1971-1979 (*corresponding author)
- Cheung WH, Chan VS, Pang HW, Wong MK, Guo ZH, Tam PK, Che CM, Lin CL, and Yu WY. Conjugation of Latent Membrane Protein (LMP)-2 Epitope to Gold Nanoparticles as Highly Immunogenic Multiple Antigenic Peptides for Induction of Epstein-Barr Virus-Specific Cytotoxic T-Lymphocyte Responses in Vitro. Bioconjugate Chem 2008, 20:24–31
- Chen, Y*, Chan VS*, Zheng B, Chan KY, Xu X, To YF, Huang FP, Khoo US and Lin CL. A novel subset of putative stem/progenitor CD34+Oct-4+ cells is the major target for SARS coronavirus in human lung. J Exp Med 2007, 204:2529-2536. (*equal contribution)
- Chan VS*, Chan KY*, Chen Y*, Poon LL, Cheung A, Zheng B, Chan KH., Mak W, Ngan HY, Xu X, Screaton G., Tam PK, Austyn J, Chan LC, Yip SP, Peiris M, Khoo US and Lin CL. Homozygous L-SIGN (CLEC4M) plays a protective role in SARS coronavirus infection. Nat Genet 2006, 38:38-46 (*equal contribution)
- Chan VS, Chau S, Tian L, Chen Y, Kwong SKY, Quackenbush J, Dallman M, Lamb J and Tam PKH. Sonic hedgehog promotes CD4+ lymphocyte proliferation and modulates the expression of a subset of CD28 targeted genes. Int Immunol 2006, 18:1627-1636.
- Chan VS, Wong C, and Ohashi PS. Calcineurin A-alpha plays an exclusive role in TCR signaling in mature but not in immature T cells. Eur J Immunol 2002, 32:1223-1229.
- General Research Fund, HKRGC: The role of regulatory microRNAs in plasmacytoid dendritic cell functions in systemic lupus erythematosus immunopathogenesis, 2013-15 (Co-I).
- Seed Fund for Basic Research, HKU: Molecular profiling of pathogenic dendritic cells development in systemic lupus erythematosus, 2012-2013 (PI).
- General Research Fund, HKRGC: Functional characterization of the novel C-type lectin-like receptor CLEC16A and its expression association in systemic lupus erythematosus, 2011-2014 (PI).
- Seed Fund for Basic Research, HKU: Development of a humanized mouse systemic lupus erythematosus model for studying disease pathogenesis and evaluation of therapeutic treatment efficacy, 2011-2013 (PI).
- Hammersmith Hospital Trustees' Research Committee Grant, UK: Differentiation and development of lung stem/progenitor cells from human embryonic cell line – a model for studying pathogenesis for SARS and H5N1 infection. 2008-2009 (PI).
- CRCG, HKU: The study of co-stimulatory function of sonic hedgehog in CD4+ T lymphocytes, 2003-2004 (Co-I).
- SARS Fund, HKU: The effect of SARS-associated coronavirus Spike protein on immune regulation of SARS, 2003-2004 (Co-I).