Professor Tak Mao Daniel Chan is currently Chair Professor, Yu Chiu Kwong Professor in Medicine, and Chief of Nephrology Division in the Department of Medicine at the University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong West Cluster Hospitals. He received his training in Nephrology and Internal Medicine at the University of Hong Kong and Guy’s Hospital, London, UK.
Professor TM Chan's research interests include:
- clinical management of lupus nephritis
- immuno-pathogenesis of lupus nephritis and chronic kidney diseases focusing on mechanisms leading to renal fibrosis
- management of viral hepatitis in patients with chronic kidney disease
The team is internationally recognized for their clinical and translational research in lupus nephritis. Since the mid-1990s Professor TM Chan’s team has published on clinical management regimens including the landmark paper in 2000 in the New England Journal of Medicine which led to establishment of mycophenolate as a new treatment paradigm for lupus nephritis. The team has also established the long-term safety and efficacy of mycophenolate as maintenance immunosuppression, and has investigated novel treatments including tacrolimus and mTOR inhibitors, with publications in J Am Soc Nephrol, Nature Rev Nephrol, Rheumatology, etc. Professor TM Chan is the Lead Author for the Chapter on Lupus Nephritis in the latest version of KDIGO Clinical Management Guidelines for Glomerulonephritis, to be published in 2019/20.
The team’s translational and basic research focuses on immuno-pathogenesis of lupus nephritis and mechanisms leading to kidney fibrosis in chronic kidney disease due to lupus nephritis or other glomerular diseases. Their findings include the discovery that human anti-dsDNA antibodies could bind to glomerular mesangial cell membrane annexin II and get transported into the cytoplasmic and nuclear compartments leading to downstream cellular responses that contribute towards a pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrotic cellular phenotype. Their work using animal models examined the effects of novel treatments for lupus nephritis and mechanisms leading to kidney fibrosis and chronic kidney disease. The results have been published in J Am Soc Nephrol, Arthritis Rheum, Kidney Int, and other leading nephrology, rheumatology, or translational medicine journals.
Professor TM Chan’s team was among the first in the early 1990s to describe the epidemiology and natural history of hepatitis C infection in dialysis patients and kidney transplant recipients, and is internationally recognized for their work in hepatitis B management in kidney transplant recipients. They were among the first to advocate preventive anti-viral treatment of kidney transplant patients at risk of hepatitis B reactivation, and they reported substantially improved patient survival with their clinical management strategy. The team has published their research output in leading journals including Hepatology, Gastroenterology,Transplantation, American Journal of Transplantation, and Transplant Infectious Disease. Professor TM Chan is also an author for related chapters in UpToDate.
- Li C, Yap DYH, Chan G, Wen YB, Li H, Tang C, Li XM, Li XW, Chan TM*. Clinical outcomes and clinico-pathological correlations in lupus nephritis with kidney biopsy showing thrombotic microangiopathy. J Rheumatol, in press.
- Yap DYH, Tam CH, Yung S, Wong S, Tang CSO, Mok TMY, Yuen CKY, Ma MKM, Lau CS, Chan TM*. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacogenomics of mycophenolic acid and its clinical correlations in maintenance immunosuppression for lupus nephritis. Nephrol Dial Transplant, in press.
- Zhang C, Chan CCY, Cheung KF, Chau MKM, Yap DYH, Ma MKM, Chan KW, Yung S, Chan TM*. Effect of mycophenolate and rapamycin on renal fibrosis in lupus nephritis. Clin Sci 2019; 133: 1721-1744.
- Yap DYH, Kwan LPY, Ma MKM, Mok MMY, Chan GCW, Chan TM*. Preemptive immunosuppressive treatment for asymptomatic serological reactivation may reduce renal flares in patients with lupus nephritis: a cohort study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2019; 34: 467-473.
- Yap DYH, Tang C, Chan GCW, Kwan LPY, Ma MKM, Mok MMY, Chan TM*. Longterm data on sirolimus treatment in patients with lupus nephritis. J Rheumatol 2018; 45: 1663-1670.
- Cheung KF, Yung S, Chau MK, Yap DY, Chan KW, Lee CK, Tang CS, Chan TM*. Annexin II-binding immunoglobulins in patients with lupus nephritis and their correlation with disease manifestations. Clin Sci 2017; 131: 653-671.
- Yung S, Ng CY, Au KY, Cheung KF, Zhang Q, Zhang C, Yap DY, Chau MK, Chan TM*. Binding of anti-dsDNA antibodies to proximal tubular epithelial cells contributes to renal tubulointerstitial inflammation. Clin Sci 2017; 131: 49-67.
- Chan TM*. Treatment of severe lupus nephritis: the new horizon. Nat Rev Nephrol 2015; 11: 46-61.
- Yung S, Ng CY, Ho SK, Cheung KF, Chan KW, Zhang Q, Chau MK, Chan TM*. Anti-dsDNA antibody induces soluble fibronectin secretion by proximal renal tubular epithelial cells and downstream increase of TGF-beta1 and collagen synthesis. J Autoimmun 2015; 58: 111-122.
- Yap DY, Ma MK, Mok MM, Kwan LP, Chan GC, Chan TM*. Long-term data on tacrolimus treatment in lupus nephritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2014; 53: 2232-2237.
- Yap DY, Ma MK, Mok MM, Tang CS, Chan TM*. Long-term data on corticosteroids and mycophenolate mofetil treatment in lupus nephritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2013; 52: 480-486.
- Yung S, Cheung KF, Zhang Q, Chan TM*. Anti-dsDNA antibodies bind to mesangial annexin II in lupus nephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010; 21: 1912-1927.
- Yung S, Zhang Q, Zhang CZ, Chan KW, Lui SL, Chan TM*. Anti-DNA antibody induction of protein kinase C phosphorylation and fibronectin synthesis in human and murine lupus and the effect of mycophenolic acid. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60: 2071-2082.
- Chan TM*, Tse KC, Tang CS, Mok MY, Li FK, Hong Kong Nephrology Study Group. Long-term study of mycophenolate mofetil as continuous induction and
maintenance treatment for diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16: 1076-1084.
- Chan TM*, Li FK, Tang CS, Wong RW, Fang GX, Ji YL, Lau CS, Wong AK, Tong MK, Chan KW, Lai KN. Efficacy of mycophenolate mofetil in patients with diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis. Hong Kong-Guangzhou Nephrology Study Group. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 1156-1162.
External Competitive Grants Awarded as Principal Investigator since 2012
- Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Research Grant 2019/2020
- Health and Medical Research Fund 2017/2018
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2017/2018
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2016/2017
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2015/2016
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2014/2015
- Health and Medical Research Fund 2014/2015
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2013/2014
- Health and Medical Research Fund 2013/2014
- RGC Earmarked Research Grant 2012/2013
- Kenzo Oshima Award, Asian Pacific Society of Nephrology (2014)
- Outstanding Researcher Award, University of Hong Kong (2006)
- Sir David Todd Lecture, Hong Kong College of Physicians (2003)
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award, University of Hong Kong (1999)
- The University of Hong Kong - Associate Dean of LKS Faculty of Medicine (2007-2013), Elected Senate Member (2013-2016), Chairman of Disciplinary Committee (2014-2016), Vice-Chairman/Chairman of Committee for Discontinuation (2013-2015/2015-2017), Member of University Selection and Promotion Committee (since 2011).
- Hong Kong Hospital Authority Head-Office - Member of Central Renal Committee (1996-2012), Chairman of Central Coordinating Committee for Internal Medicine (2012-2015).
- Hong Kong Hospital Authority Hong Kong West Cluster Hospitals - Chief of Clinical Service, Department of Medicine (2010-2013), Chief of Nephrology (since 2010).
- Hong Kong College of Physicians – Chairman of Nephrology Board (2007-2011), Chairman of CMECPD Board (since 2016), Chairman of Credentialing Committee (since 2017), Chairman of Education and Accreditation Committee (since 2016), Vice-President (since 2016).
- Hong Kong Society of Transplantation - President (1999-2001).
- Hong Kong Kidney Foundation - Vice-President (since 2012).
- Asian Society of Transplantation - Member of Executive Committee (1999-2017).
- Asian Pacific Society of Nephrology - President (2008-2010), Chairman of Awards Committee (2014-2019).
- International Society of Nephrology - Council Member (2015-2019), Member of Awards Committee (2016-2018), Member of Fellowship Committee (since 2017).