Internship / House OfficerThe Department through the allocation of the Faculty of Medicine, HKU receives a number of interns for training every 3 months. Although half of the group will stay for 6 months. They are mainly allocated to general wards, and to specialty wards and specialist outpatient clinics on a part-time basis. Specific information on duties, leave and other arrangements will be available upon report to duty.
Please refer to the Faculty of Medicine homepage for other information (link)
Overseas applicants are usually not accepted. Applicants must have a primary medical qualification registrable by the Medical Council of Hong Kong. Further information on licensing procedures - please refer to the Medical Council of Hong Kong homepage.
Physician / Residency Training Posts in Internal Medicine
The Department of Medicine is an accredited centre for structured postgraduate medical training in internal medicine accredited by the Hong Kong College of Physicians (HKCP) and is divided into two stages:
- Basic Physician Training (BPT) in General Internal Medicine for 3 years followed by the joint *Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom (MRCP UK) / HKCP Intermediate Examination, and then
- Higher Physician Training (HPT) in a medical specialty and/or advanced training in Internal Medicine (AIM) for 3 or 4 years followed by the HKCP Exit Assessment.
* The MRCP (UK) examinations in Hong Kong are conducted and administered by the Hong Kong College of Physicians, please contact them for further information and enquires as per hyperlink below.
For further information please refer:
The Department is an accredited training centre in HPT in the following specialties:
- Advanced Internal Medicine
- Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Critical Care Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Geriatric Medicine
- Haematology, Haematological Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Medical Oncology
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
- Rheumatology & Clinical Immunology
Training are undertaken at Queen Mary Hospital and medical units of the Hong Kong West Cluster hospitals - Tung Wah Hospital, Grantham Hospital and Fung Yiu King Hospital. Trainees are rotated through all the clinical specialties and cluster hospitals during their training period.
The employment of training posts is centralised by the Hospital Authority (HA) under the Contract Resident Programme. Please refer to them for further information and application form - http://www.ha.org.hk/ as per menu items: Healthcare Professionals > Professional Training > Training for Doctors> Contract Resident Program
Elective or Residency Physician TrainingThe Department regularly receives and trains basic and higher physician trainees from other hospital, on a reciprocal arrangement, for training in general and specialist medicine and in Family Medicine as short-term elective attachments. The arrangement for such are made thru the chiefs of service or department / unit heads of individual hospitals.
Overseas applicants: please send application letter with full CV addressed to Chief of Service, Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pok Fu Lam Road, Hong Kong.
Applicants must have a primary medical qualification registrable by the Medical Council of Hong Kong. Further information on licensing procedures - please refer to the Medical Council of Hong Kong homepage.