Prof HUNG Fan Ngai, Ivan
Chair of Infectious Diseases
Head, Division of Infectious Diseases
Ru Chien & Helen Lieh Professor in Health Science Pedagogy
Assistant Dean (Admissions, Teaching and Learning)
Member of the COVID-19 Expert Advisory Panel, HKSAR
Member of the COVID-19 Vaccines Advisory Panel, HKSAR
Co-Convenor of the Expert Committee on Clinical Events Following COVID-19 Immunization, HKSAR
- MBChB (Bristol), MD (HK), MRCP (UK), FRCP (Lon, Edin), FHKCP, FHKAM (Medicine), PDipID (HK)
Professor Hung is a dual specialist in Infectious Disease and Gastroenterology & Hepatology. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Bristol Medical School, England in 1996. After working in the University of Cambridge Medical School and Charing Cross Hospital, London, he returned to Hong Kong in 1999 and joined the Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital. He was awarded the Anti-SARS gold badge award by the Hospital Authority in 2003 for his role in combating SARS as frontline medical officer. He received the Sir Patrick Manson Gold Medal award for best M.D. thesis. He was awarded the Richard Yu Lectureship and medal in 2016 by the Hong Kong College of Physicians. He was awarded the prestigious Outstanding Researcher Award from the University of Hong Kong in 2019. He is the Fellow of Royal Colleges of Physicians of London and Edinburgh, and fellow of the Infectious Disease Society of America and Advisory Board Member of the Universal Scientific Education & Research Network (USERN).
Professor Hung has published more than 370 international peer reviewed original articles, including research articles in the Lancet, Nature, the Lancet Infectious Diseases and the Clinical Infectious Diseases. His research interest includes influenza, SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory virus antiviral treatment and vaccinology. He has pioneered the use of the triple combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir/ ritonavir and ribavirin in the treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, resulting in significantly faster clinical alleviation and viral load suppression. He and his team also pioneered the application of topical imiquimod before intradermal influenza vaccination, which results in protection against heterologous non-vaccine and antigenically drifted viruses. He was also the first to prove convalescent plasma and H-IVIG reduced mortality in patients with severe influenza infection in prospective clinical trials. He is ranked as HKU Scholars in the world top 1% in 2013, 2018-2022 (H-index 68). He is the world-leading expert in the field of antiviral and vaccinology for influenza and COVID-19 infection. He is currently Associate Editor of the two medical journals: Vaccine; Diagnostics. As a clinician scientist, Professor Hung believes in innovation, team-work and clinical application of translational research in tackling threats from emerging infectious diseases.
- Treatment of respiratory virus infection including COVID-19 and influenza infection
- Vaccinology in influenza, COVID-19, and hepatitis B
- Emerging infectious diseases
- Tam AR, Zhang RR, Lung KC, Liu R, Leung KY, Liu D, Fan Y, Lu L, Lam AHY, Chung TWH, Yip CCY, Lo J, Wu AKL, Lee R, Sin S, Ng PY, Chan WM, Shum HP, Yan WW, Chan JFW, Cheng VCC, Lau CS, Kai-Wang K, Chan KH, Yuen KY, Hung IFN. Early treatment of high-risk hospitalized COVID-19 patients with a combination of interferon beta-1b and remdesivir: a phase 2 open-label randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2022;ciac523
- Zhang R, Leung KY, Liu D, Fan Y, Lu L, Chan PC, To KK, Chen H, Yuen KY, Chan KH, Hung IF. Correlation of Immunogenicity and Reactogenicity of BNT162bs and CoronaVac SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines. mSphere, 2022, 7(2); e00915-21.
- Khong KW, Liu D, Leung KY, Lu L, Lam HY, Chen L, Chan PC, Lam HM, Xie X, Zhang R, Fan Y, To KK, Chen H, Yuen KY, Chan KH, Hung IF. Antibody response of combination of BNT126b2 and CoronaVac Platforms of COVID-19 vaccines against omicron variant. Vaccines, 2022 10(2); art. no. 160.
- Zhang R, Liu D, Leung KY, Fan Y, Lu L, Chan PC, To KK, Chen H, Yuen KY, Chan KH, Hung IF. Immunogenicity of a heterologous prime-boost COVID-19 vaccination with mRNA and inactivated virus vaccines compared with homologous vaccination strategy against SARS-CoV-2 variants. Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Jan; 10(1): 72
- Zhang R, Khong KW, Leung KY, Liu D, Fan Y, Lu L, Chan PC, Chen L, To KK, Chen H, Yuen KY, Chan KH, Hung IF. Antibody response of BNT162b2 and coronavac platforms in recovered individuals previously infected by COVID-19 against SARS-CoV-2 wild type and delta variant. Vaccine (Basel). 2021 Dec; 9(12):1442.
- Hung IF, Lung KC, Tso EY, Liu R, Chung TW, Chu MY, Ng YY, Lo J, Chan J, Tam AR, Shum HP, Chan V, Wu AK, Sin KM, Leung WS, Law WL, Lung DC, Sin S, Yeung P, Yip CC, Zhang RR, Fung AY, Yan EY, Leung KH, Ip JD, Chu AW, Chan WM, Ng AC, Lee R, Fung K, Yeung A, Wu TC, Chan JW, Yan WW, Chan WM, Chan JF, Lie AK, Tsang OT, Cheng VC, Que TL, Lau CS, Chan KH, To KK, Yuen KY. Triple Combination of Interferon beta-1b, Lopinavir-Ritonavir, and Ribavirin in the Treatment of Patients Admitted to Hospital With COVID-19: An Open-Label, Randomised, Phase 2 Trial. Lancet 2020 May; 8; S0140-6736(20)31042-4.
- Hung IF, Cheng VC, Lin X, Tam AR, Hung DL, Chiu KH, Yip CC, et al. SARS-CoV-2 shedding and seroconversion among passengers quarantined after disembarking a cruise ship: a case series. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2020; S1473-3099(20)30364-9.
- Hung IF, Yap DY, Yip TP, Zhang RR, To KK, Chan KH, Tang SC, Lui SC, Levin Y, Kochba E, Lau JY, Yuen MF, Chan TM, Yuen KY. A double-blind randomized phase 2 controlled trial of intradermal hepatitis B vaccination with a topical Toll-like receptor 7 agonist imiquimod, in patients on dialysis. Clin Infect Dis 2021;73:e304-311
- Hung IF, Cheung KS, Chan PP et al. Gastrointestinal manifestations of SARS-CoV-2 infection and virus load in fecal samples from the Hong Kong cohort and systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastroenterology 2020:S0016-5085(20)30448-0.
- Hung IF, To KK, Chan JF, Cheng VC, Liu KS, Tam A, Chan TC, Zhang AJ, Li P, Wong TL, Zhang R, Cheung MK, Leung W, Lau JY, Fok M, Chen H, Chan KH, Yuen KY. “Efficacy of Clarithromycin-Naproxen-Oseltamivir Combination in the Treatment of Patients Hospitalized for Influenza A (H3N2) Infection: An Open-label Randomized, Controlled, Phase IIb/III Trial”. Chest. 2017 May; 151(5): 1069-1080.
- Hung IF, Zhang AJ, To KK, Chan JF, Li P, Wong TL, Zhang R, Chan TC, Chan BC, Wai HH, Chan LW, Fong HP, Hui RK, Kong KL, Leung AC, Ngan AH, Tsang LW, Yeung AP, Yiu GC, Yung W, Lau JY, Chen H, Chan KH, Yuen KY. Topical imiquimod before intradermal trivalent influenza vaccine for protection against heterologous non-vaccine and antigenically drifted viruses: a single-centre, double-blind randomised, controlled phase 2b/3 trial. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2016;16:209-18
- Hung IF, Zhang AJ, To KK, Chan JF, Li C, Zhu HS, Li P, Li C, Chan TC, Cheng VC, Chan KH, Yuen KY. Immunogenicity of intradermal trivalent influenza vaccine with topical imiquimod: a double blind randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2014;59:1246-55
- Hung IF, To KK, Lee CK, Lee KL, Yan WW, Chan K, Chan WM, Ngai CW, Law KI, Chow FL, Liu R, Lai KY, Lau CCY, Liu SH, Chan KH, Lin CK, Yuen KY. Hyperimmune IV Immunoglobulin Treatment: A Multicenter Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial for Patients With Severe 2009 Influenza A(H1N1) Infection. Chest 2013;144:464-73
- Hung IF, To KK, Lee CK, Lee KL, Chan K, Yan WW, Liu R, Watt CL, Chan WM, Lai KY, Koo CK, Buckley T, Chow FL, Wong KK, Chan HS, Ching CK, Tang BS, Lau CC, Li IW, Liu SH, Chan KH, Lin CK, Yuen KY. Convalescent plasma treatment reduced mortality in patients with severe influenza A (H1N1) 2009 infection. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:447-56
- Hung IF, Leung AY, Chu DW, Leung D, Cheung T, Chan CK, Lam CL, Liu SH, Chu CM, Ho PL, Chan S, Lam TH, Liang R, Yuen KY. Prevention of acute myocardial infarction and stroke in the elderly by pneumococcal and influenza dual vaccinations: a prospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51:1007-16
- RGC-General Research Fund 2014-15: A double blind randomized controlled trial of intradermal hepatitis B vaccination with topical imiquimod in dialyzed patients with chronic renal failure (Project ref: 17108614) (HK$551,319)
- RGC- General Research Fund 2013-14: Efficacy and safety of a novel intradermal live-attenuated varicella zoster vaccine in hematopoietic-cell transplantation donors: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial (Project ref: HKU 768313M) (HK$691,267)
- HMRF 2019-2022: Commissioned Study on Influenza Vaccine with Imiquimod in Elderly and Chronic Illness Subjects (HK$ 10,494,340)
- HMRF 2019-2022: Commissioned Programmes for Influenza Research: A double-blind, randomised, controlled trial on flufenamic acid, clarithromycin and oseltamivir combination for hospitalised influenza infection (HK$ 4,770,144)
- HMRF 2015-20: Commissioned Research on CID Phase III – HKU: Immunogenicity of intradermal quadrivalent influenza and 13-valent pneumococcal conjugated vaccination with topical imiquimod in at risk individuals (Project ref: HKM-15-M08) (HK$2,400,000)
- HMRF 2014-15: A double-blind randomized controlled trial of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugated vaccine in patients with chronic illness (Project ref: 14130782) (HK826,320)
- HMRF 2014-15: Commissioned Studies – Treatment of severe influenza A infection with celecoxib: a double blind randomized controlled trial (Project ref: RRG-18) (HK$786,352)
- Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Disease (RFCID): Efficacy Combined Influenza and 23-Valent Polysaccharide Pneumococcal Vaccines in Patients with Chronic Illness 2009-2014 (HK$1,000,000)
- Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Disease (RFCID): Commissioned Study on Human Swine Influenza Research 2009-2012 (Project ref: CS-07) (HK$2,825,754)
2019 Outstanding Researcher Award (ORA) (The University of Hong Kong)
2018 Ru Chien & Helen Lieh Endowed Professorship in Health Sciences Pedagogy
2017 Distinguished Young Fellow (Hong Kong Academy of Medicine)
2017 Research Output Prize (PI) (LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong)
2016 Richard Yu Lectureship and Medal (Hong Kong College of Physicians)
2011 Best Oral Presentation Award – 19th European Gastroenterology Week (UEGW)
2011 Sir Patrick Manson Gold Medal – Best M.D.Thesis (The University of Hong Kong)
2011 Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigators (Hong Kong College of Physicians)
2003 Anti-SARS Gold Badge Award (Hospital Authority)
- Assistant Dean (Admissions), Teaching and Learning, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (Since 2018)
- Board & Founding Member, World Association for Infectious Diseases and Immunological Disorders (WAidid) (Since 2014)
- Member, GeoSentinel – International Society of Travel Medicine (Since 2017)
- Member, China Consortium of Elite Teaching Hospitals for Residency Education (Since 2017)
- Examiner, Royal College of Physicians (UK) MRCPUK PACES
- Expert Grant Reviewer, The National Medical Research Council, Singapore (Since 2013)
- Member, Education Committee, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (Since 2018)
- Member, Education & Accreditation Committee, Hong Kong Medical Council (Since 2018)
- Member, Licentiate Examination Subcommittee, Hong Kong Medical Council (Since 2017)
- Secretary, Infectious Diseases Board, Hong Kong College of Physicians (Since 2018)
- Council Member, Hong Kong Society of Infectious Diseases (Since 2013)
- Member, Expert Advisory Panel (EAP) in Infectious Diseases Research, Food and Health Bureau (Since 2018)
- Member, Health and Medical Research Fund Grant Review Board, Food and Health Bureau (Since 2014)
- Member, Research Response Group for Emerging Health Threats, Food and Health Bureau (Since 2013)
- Member, Senate Committee on Discontinuation, the University of Hong Kong (Since 2013)
- Member, Work Group on Clinical Management for Avian Influenza (H7N9) and Novel Coronavirus (NCoV), Hospital Authority (Since 2013)
- Member, Central Committee of Infectious Diseases and Emerging Responses (CCIDER), Hospital Authority (Since 2012)
- Member, Subcommittee of AIDS Trust Fund, Department of Health (Since 2018)
- Member, Subcommittee of HA Infectious Diseases & Infection Control Training, Department of Health (Since 2012)
- Member, Committee for Infectious Disease & Infection Control Training, Centre of Health Protection (Since 2012)
- Member, Task Force on Clinical Management of Infection, Centre of Health Protection (Since 2012)
- Section Editor, BMC Infectious Diseases (Since 2016)
- Associate Editor, Vaccine Journal
- Associate Editor, Journal of Interventional Gastroenterology (Since 2012)
- Associate Editor, Interhospital Multi-disciplinary Program on Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (IMPACT) Guideline (Editions 4 & 5)
- Assistant Dean (Clinical Curriculum & Assessment), LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (2017)