Prof LEUNG Yu Hung, Anskar
Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation Professor in Haematology
Professor, Chair of Haematology
- BMedSc, PhD (CUHK), MBChB (Hons), FHKCP, FHKAM (MED), MD (HKU), FRCP (Glasgow, London, Edinburgh)
Professor Anskar Leung Yu-hung is currently a Chair Professor and Deputy Chairperson in the Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine. He graduated in 1996 with MBChB (Hons) and PhD from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and joined The University of Hong Kong as Clinical Assistant Professor in 1999. He obtained his specialist qualification in Haematology and Haematological Oncology in 2003 and was promoted to Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Professor in 2007 and 2012 respectively. His research focuses on the pathogenesis, development of zebrafish models and clinical management of acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). He has published more than 170 peer review articles and has been serving as Editorial Board Member of BLOOD, the official journal of the American Society of Hematology, since 2018. At professional level, Professor Leung is currently the Honorary Consultant at Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong – Shenzhen Hospital and Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital.
- Man CH, Lam W, Dang CC, Zeng XY, Zheng LC, Chan NN, Ng NKL, Chan KC, Kwok TH, Ng TC, Leung WY, Huen M, Wong CC, So CWE, Dou Z, Goyama S, Bray MR, Mak TW, Leung AYH. Inhibition of PLK4 remodels histone methylation and activates immune response via cGAS-STING pathway in TP53 mutated AML. Blood. 2023 Sep22 Epub ahead of print.
- Wang D, Zheng L, Cheng BYL, Sin CF, Li R, Tsui SP, Yi X, Ma ACH, He BL, Leung AYH, Sun X. Transgenic IDH2R172K and IDH2R140Q zebrafish models recapitulated features of human acute myeloid leukemia. Oncogene. 2023;42(16):1272-1281.
- Man CH, Zeng X, Lam W, Ng TCC, Kwok TH, Dang KCC, Leung TWY, Ng NKL, Lam SSY, Cher CY, Leung AYH. Regulation of proton partitioning in kinase activating acute myeloid leukemia and its therapeutic implication. Leukemia. 2022; 36(8): 1990-2001.
- Tsui SP, Ip HW, Saw NY, Zhang C, Cheung AK, Ng NK, Man CH, Lam SS, Tang WF, Lin CH, Cheng GH, Au CH, Ma ES, Chan TL, So JC, Ng MH, Cheng KC, Wong KF, Siu LP, Yip SF, Lin SY, Lau JS, Luk TH, Lee HK, Lau CK, Kho B, Sim JP, Kwong YL, Leung SY, Javed A, Leung AY. Redefining prognostication of de novo cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukemia in young adults. Blood Cancer J. 2020;10(10):104.
- He BL, Yang N, Man CH, Ng NK, Cher CY, Leung HC, Kan LL, Cheng BY, Lam SS, Wang ML, Zhang CX, Kwok H, Cheng G, Sharma R, Ma AC, So CE, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Follistatin is a novel therapeutic target and biomarker in FLT3/ITD acute myeloid leukemia. EMBO Mol Med. 2020; 12(8):e12911.
- Lam SY, Ho ES, He BL, Wong WW, Cher CY, Ng NK, Man CH, Gill H, Cheung AM, Ip HW, So CC, Temburini J, So CW, Ho DN, Au CH, Chan TL, Ma ES, Liang R, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Homoharringtonine (omacetaxine mepessucinate) as an adjunct for FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukemia. Sci Transl Med 2016; 8(359): 359ra129.
- Cher CY, Leung GM, Au CH, Chan TL, Ma ES, Sim JP, Gill H, Lie AK, Liang R, Wong KF, Siu LL, Tsui CS, So CC, Wong HW, Yip SF, Lee HK, Liu HS, Lau JS, Luk TH, Lau CK, Lin SY, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Next-generation sequencing with a myeloid gene panel in core-binding factor AML showed KIT activation loop and TET2 mutations predictive of outcome. Blood Cancer J. 2016; 6(7): e442.
- Man CH, Fung TK, Wan H, Cher CY, Fan A, Ng N, Ho C, Wan TS, Tanaka T, So EC, Kwong YL, Leung AY. Suppression of SOX7 by DNA methylation and its tumor suppressor function in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2015; 125(25): 3928-3936.
- Shi X, He BL, Ma AC, Guo Y, Chi Y, Man CH, Zhang W, Zhang Y, Wen Z, Cheng T, Leung AY. Functions of idh1 and its mutation in the regulation of developmental hematopoiesis in zebrafish. Blood. 2015;125(19):2974-84.
- Man CH, Lam SS, Sun MK, Chow HC, Gill H, Kwong YL, Leung AY. A novel tescalcin-sodium/hydrogen exchange axis underlying sorafenib resistance in FLT3-ITD+ AML. Blood. 2014;123(16):2530-9.
- He BL, Shi X, Man CH, Ma AC, Ekker SC, Chow HC, So CW, Choi WW, Zhang W, Zhang Y, Leung AY. Functions of flt3 in zebrafish hematopoiesis and its relevance to human acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2014;123(16):2518-29.
2018: Outstanding Research Student Supervisor Award (HKU)
2017: Faculty Outstanding Researh Ouput Prize
2016: Croucher Senior Medical Research Fellowships
2014: Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation Professorship in Haematology
1. Health@InnoHK, Innovation and Technology Commission of the HKSAR
Project:Centre for Oncology and Immunology
Role: Programme leader in haematologic malignancy
Year awarded: 2020 (5 years)
Amount(HKD): 501,000,000 (Total Funding Ceiling)
2. Theme-based Research Scheme (T12-702/20-N)
Towards personalized and innovative treatment for acute myeloid leukaemia
Year awarded: 2020 (5 years)
Amount (HKD): 46,667,000
3. Health and Medical Research Fund (06172586)
Modelling TP53-mutated acute myeloid leukaemia in zebrafish - biological and therapeutic implications
Year awarded: 2019 (3 years)
Amount (HKD): 1,498,688
4. General Research Fund (HKU17126117)
Follistatin as a novel target and biomarker for acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) carrying internal tandem duplication (ITD) of Fms-Like Tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3).
Year awarded: 2017 (3 years)
Amount (HKD): 1,229,089
5. Health and Medical Research Fund (04152326)
Targeting DNA damage and repair mechanism in FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) - a mechanistic and therapeutic study (3 years)
Year awarded: 2017 (3 years)
Amount (HKD): 1,200,000
6. Croucher Senior Medical Research Fellowships
Develop a high throughput platform for personalized treatment of acute myeloid leukaemia
Year awarded: 2016 (3 years)
Amount (HKD): 4,288,400
Supervision of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows
- Research student supervision (completed):14 Ph.D.; 7 M.Phil.; 3 M.Res.Med.; 2 M.Med.Sc.
- Postdoctoral fellow / research assistant professor supervision (completed): 6
- Current research student under supervision: 2 Ph.D. students
- Current postdoctoral fellow / research assistant professor under supervision: 4