Prof SETO Wai Kay, Walter 司徒偉基
Clinical Professor 臨床教授
- MBBS(HK) MD(HK) MRCP (UK) FRCP (Edin, Glasg, Lond) FHKCP FHKAM (Medicine)
|HKU Scholars Hub|
Prof. Wai-Kay Seto graduated from the University of Hong Kong in 2003 and received his Fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology in 2010 from the Hong Kong College of Physicians. He received his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Hong Kong in 2012. He is currently a Clinical Professor in the Department of Medicine and Principal Investigator of the State Key Laboratory of Liver Disease, the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. He is also the Chief of Division and Chief Physician in Gastroenterology of the University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, China.
Prof. Seto is ranked by Clarivate Analytics in the top 1% worldwide by research in 2020 and 2021. He has published more than 230 international journal articles and book chapters, including leading-authored articles in the Lancet, Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Lancet Global Health, Journal of Hepatology, Gut, Hepatology, Clinical Infectious Diseases and npj Digital Medicine, majority related to research on chronic liver diseases. He has secured a total of over 30 million HKD in external competitive grant funding, has over 90 local, regional and international invited lectureships. He is a principal investigator of over 10 phase I-III international industry-sponsored clinical trials.
Prof. Seto has been awarded the American Gastroenterological Association Fellowship (2021); Sir David Todd Lectureship, Hong Kong College of Physicians (2019); the Asia-Pacific Digestive Week Emerging Leader from the APDW Federation (2018); Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award (2018), The University of Hong Kong; Guangdong Province Outstanding Young Medical Talent Award (2017); Outstanding Young Research Award (2016-2017) from The University of Hong Kong; and the Distinguished Young Fellow (2013) from the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine.
根據《科睿唯安》(Clarivate Analytics)，司徒教授的研究於2020及2021年名列全球前 1%，他發表了 200 多篇國際期刊論文及書章，包括在《Lancet》, 《Journal of Clinical Oncology》, 《Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology》, 《Lancet Global Health》,《Journal of Hepatology》, 《Gut》, 《Hepatology》, 《Clinical Infectious Diseases》 and 《npj Digital Medicine》, 其中大部分研究與慢性肝病相關。他也主持多項研究基金項目，總金額超過3000萬港元，有90多次在本地、區域或國際的特邀講課，也是10多項I-III期國際臨床試驗的主要研究員。
司徒教授於2013年由香港醫學專科學院授予傑出青年院士獎，2016-2017年被授予香港大學傑出年青研究員獎， 2017年被授予廣東省衛計委傑出青年醫學人才，2018年獲得亞太消化病週協會頒發Asia-Pacific Disease Week Emerging Leader，2019年被授予香港內科專科學院達安輝教授命名講座，2021年獲授予美國胃腸病協會院士。
- Chronic hepatitis B （慢性乙型肝炎）: Translational and clinical studies on treatment outcomes and functional cure
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease （非酒精性脂肪肝）: Animal models, molecular mechanisms and novel medical devices
- Liver fibrosis （肝纖維化）: Novel non-invasive diagnostic techniques and clinical outcomes
- Biotechnology (生物技術): The development of novel medical devices for liver diseases
- Gut microbiota（腸道微生態）: Animal models and associations with liver disease outcomes
- Artificial intelligence （人工智能）: Deep learning and its application in liver diseases
- Seto WK, Lo YR, Pawlotsky JP, Yuen MF. Chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Lancet 2018; 392:2313-2324 (2021 impact factor 202.731).
- Seto WK, Yuen MF.“Immune tolerance” in HBV infection: danger lurks. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016 44: 1071-1079. (2021 impact factor 73.082)
- Seto WK, Chan TS, Hwang YY, Wong DK, Fung J, Liu K, Gill H, Lam YF, Lie AK, Lai CL, Kwong YL, Yuen MF. Hepatitis B reactivation in patients with prior HBV exposure undergoing rituximab-containing chemotherapy for lymphoma: a prospective study. J Clin Oncol 2014; 32: 3736-43. (2021 impact factor 50.769).
- Su S, Wong WC, Zou Z, Cheng DD, Ong JJ, Chan P, Ji F, Yuen MF, Zhaung G, Seto WK*, Zhang L. Cost-effectiveness of universal screening for chronic hepatitis B virus infection in China: an economic evaluation. Lancet Glob Health 2022 10(2): e278-287 (2021 impact factor 38.927) (*co-corresponding author)
- Seto WK, Liu KS, Mak LY, Cloherty G, Wong DK, Gersch J, Lam YF, Cheung KS, Chow N, Ko KL, To WP, Fung J, Yuen MF. Role of serum HBV RNA and hepatitis B surface antigen levels in identifying Asian chronic hepatitis B patients suitable for entecavir cessation. Gut 2021 70:775-783. (2021 impact factor 31.840)
- Mak LY, Hui RW, Fung J, Liu F, Wong DK, Cheung KS, Yuen MF, Seto WK. Diverse effects of hepatic steatosis on fibrosis progression and functional cure in virologically quiescent chronic hepatitis B. J Hepatol 2020; 73: 800-806 (2021 impact factor 30.083).
- Seto WK, Mak SK, Chiu K, Vardhanabhuti V, Wong HF, Leong HT, Lee PS, Ho YC, Lee CK, Cheung KS, Yuen MF, Leung WK. Magnetic resonance cholangiogram patterns and clinical profiles of ketamine-related cholangiopathy in drug users. J Hepatol 2018; 69:121-8 (2021 impact factor 30.083).
- Mak LY, Cheung KS, Hui RW, Fung J, Yuen MF, Seto WK. Enhanced liver fibrosis score stratifies hepatocellular carcinoma risk in patients with hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance. Clin Infect Dis 2022 in press (2021 impact factor 20.999).
- Seto WK, Chan TS, Hwang YY, Wong DK, Fung J, Liu K, Gill H, Lam YF, Lau HY, Cheung KS, Lie AK, Lai CL, Kwong YL, Yuen MF. Hepatitis B reactivation in occult viral carriers undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a prospective study. Hepatology 2017 65:1451-61 (2021 impact factor 17.298)
- Wong WC, Marley G, Li J, Yan W, Chan PL, Tucker JD, Tang W, Ni Y, Cheng DD, Cong L, Seto WK. Digital crowdsourced intervention to enhance viral hepatitis testing in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. npj Digit Med 2022 5(1):95 (2021 impact factor 15.357)
- Seto WK, Hui R, Mak LY, Fung J, Cheung KS, Liu KS, Wong DK, Lai CL, Yuen MF. Association between hepatic steatosis, measured by controlled attenuation parameter, and fibrosis burden in chronic hepatitis B. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018; 16:575-583 (2021 impact factor 13.576).
- Committee Member, World Gastroenterology Organization
- Principal Investigator, State Key Laboratory of Liver Disease, The University of Hong Kong
- Council Member, Hong Kong Society of Gastroenterology, Hong Kong
- Council Member, Hong Kong Association for the Study of Liver Disease, Hong Kong
- Council Member, Hong Kong Liver Foundation, Hong Kong
- Consultant and Chief of Division in Gastroenterology, Medicine, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen
- Honorary Consultant, Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
- Assistant Hospital Chief Executive (Research), The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen (Jan 2017 – Nov 2021)
- Director, Clinical Trials Center, The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen (Jan 2017 – Feb 2022)
- American Gastroenterological Association Fellow (2021), American Gastroenterological Association
- Chief Physician (主任醫師), Guangdong Province (2021)
- Sir David Todd Lectureship (2019), Hong Kong College of Physicians
- Asia Pacific Digestive Week Emerging Leader (2018), APDW Federation
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award (2018), The University of Hong Kong
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award (2016-2017), The University of Hong Kong
- Guangdong Province Outstanding Young Medial Talent Award (2017), Guangdong Health Commission, Guangdong Province, China
- Esteemed Staff Award (2017), Shenzhen Health Commission, Shenzhen, China
- Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator (2015), Hong Kong College of Physicians
- Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator (2014), Hong Kong College of Physicians
- Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator (2013), Hong Kong College of Physicians
- Distinguished Young Fellow (2013), Hong Kong Academy of Medicine
- Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigator (2012), Hong Kong College of Physicians
Editorial Board Memberships
- World Journal of Gastroenterology
- PLOS ONE
- Hong Kong Medical Journal
Competitive Research Grants as Principal Investigator
- General Research Fund, Research Grant Council, 2022 (ref no: 17100522)
- Innovation and Technology Fund, Innovation and Technology Commission, 2021 (ref no: ITS/222/20)
- Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau, 2021 (ref no: 08192936)
- Gilead HBV-Treat Program, 2021 (ref no: ISR-HK-320-6099)
- Health and Medical Research Fund (Commissioned Research Program), Food and Health Bureau, 2020 (ref no: COVID190220)
- Innovation and Technology Fund, Innovation and Technology Commission, 2019 (ref no: ITS/122/18FP)
- Guangdong Natural Science Fund (General Program), 2019 (ref no: 2019A1515012003)
- Gilead Sciences CHIME Grant, 2018 (ref no: ISR-CN-18-10455)
- S. K. Yee Medical Foundation Grant, 2018 (ref no: 2171213)
- Li Shu Pui Medical Foundation Research Grant, 2018
- Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau, 2017 (ref no: 14150791)
- General Research Fund, Research Grant Council, 2016 (ref no: 17125916)
- Beat Drug Fund, Security Bureau, 2015 (ref no: 140031)
- S. K. Yee Medical Foundation Grant, 2015 (ref no: 2151210)
- S. K. Yee Medical Foundation Grant, 2014 (ref no: 2141213)
- Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau, 2013 (ref no: 12111842)
- Young Investigator Research Grant 2012, Hong Kong College of Physicians